Are asteroids found by the light they reflect?

In summary: Near-Earth objects (NEOs) absorb most of the light that falls on them and re-emit that energy at infrared wavelengths. This enables NEOWISE's infrared detectors to study both dark and light-colored NEOs with nearly equal clarity and sensitivity."These are quite dark objects," said NEOWISE team member Joseph Masiero, "Think of new asphalt on streets; these objects would look like charcoal, or in some cases are even darker than that."NEOWISE data have been used to measure the size of each near-Earth object it observes. Thirty-one asteroids that NEOWISE has discovered pass within about 20 lunar distances from Earth's orbit, and 19 are more than 460
Albertgauss
Gold Member
My guess is that asteroids are discovered by the sun light they reflect, is this correct? What if, hypothetically, an asteroid absorbed all the sunlight that impacted it, could it still easily be found from other methods?

Likes K. Doc Holiday
Astronomy news on Phys.org
Answer: yes.

If an asteroid had zero albedo, it would indeed be hard to detect. If it were really large, like a dwarf planet (e.g., Ceres) it might be detectable by the gravitational effect it has on neighboring visible objects.

Likes K. Doc Holiday
An asteroid with zero albedo should warm up by sunlight and emit thermal infrared.
Is any asteroid seen in infrared even though not seen in visible?

Likes K. Doc Holiday and jim mcnamara
From the articles - it looks like the infared spectrum is used as a secondary tool, gathering information after identification.. So, it is possible to search for zero albedo objects. It does not appear to be first line now.

Likes 1oldman2
I thought asteroids were found almost exclusively through infrared? In WISE, the I stands for infrared.

newjerseyrunner said:
I thought asteroids were found almost exclusively through infrared? In WISE, the I stands for infrared.
I thought they were found mostly by looking for reflected sunlight. Hmmm...

Likes davenn
newjerseyrunner said:

there is a real mix of visual optical, IR, and radar

Likes 1oldman2
davenn said:
there is a real mix of visual optical, IR, and radar
True, I should have mentioned that point in post #4. I usually have http://asteroidsathome.net/boinc/ running in the background on my computer, It's interesting to see what can be derived from studying the photometric data.

Likes K. Doc Holiday and Drakkith
https://www.nasa.gov/feature/jpl/nasas-neowise-mission-spies-one-comet-maybe-two :smile:

Near-Earth objects (NEOs) absorb most of the light that falls on them and re-emit that energy at infrared wavelengths. This enables NEOWISE's infrared detectors to study both dark and light-colored NEOs with nearly equal clarity and sensitivity.

"These are quite dark objects," said NEOWISE team member Joseph Masiero, "Think of new asphalt on streets; these objects would look like charcoal, or in some cases are even darker than that."

NEOWISE data have been used to measure the size of each near-Earth object it observes. Thirty-one asteroids that NEOWISE has discovered pass within about 20 lunar distances from Earth's orbit, and 19 are more than 460 feet (140 meters) in size but reflect less than 10 percent of the sunlight that falls on them.

Likes newjerseyrunner

Related to Are asteroids found by the light they reflect?

1. How do scientists find and track asteroids?

Scientists use a combination of telescopes and specialized software to locate and monitor asteroids. This involves analyzing the light they reflect and determining their position and trajectory.

2. What is the role of light in discovering asteroids?

Light plays a crucial role in the discovery of asteroids. By analyzing the light they reflect, scientists can determine the size, composition, and distance of an asteroid. This information is essential for tracking and predicting potential asteroid impacts.

3. Can asteroids be seen with the naked eye?

Some larger asteroids can be seen with the naked eye, but most are too small and faint to be visible without the aid of a telescope. However, scientists can still detect and track these smaller asteroids by analyzing the light they reflect.

4. Do all asteroids reflect the same amount of light?

No, the amount of light an asteroid reflects depends on its size, composition, and distance from the sun. Some asteroids, such as those made of darker materials, reflect less light than others.

5. How does the color of an asteroid's light provide information?

The color of an asteroid's light can provide insight into its composition. Different materials reflect light at different wavelengths, so by analyzing the color of an asteroid's light, scientists can determine what it is made of and potentially its origins.