Arduino & LCD Capacitor Voltage Project | Zig

In summary, Zig is working on a project with an Arduino and needs it to read from an LCD to determine the voltage of a capacitor. If the voltage is too low, Zig wants the circuit to switch on to charge the capacitor. There is a question about how the LCD is getting the values to display and if it would be possible to redirect the signal directly to the chip. Zig mentions wanting to use a digital voltmeter for the project but is unsure if they can use it or if they need to use a specific code for the Arduino. The other person suggests using the chip's built-in AtoD instead, which would be much simpler. Zig thanks them for their help.
Ziggey
Hey guys so I'm working on a project with an Arduino. I need the Arduino to read from a LCD to tell it what the voltage of a capacitor is. If the voltage is to low I would like it I switch the circuit on to charge the capacitors back up. Anyone know where a good starting point would be?

Thank you,
Zig.

Technology news on Phys.org
How is the LCD getting the values to display?
IS there a way you could instead redirect this signal right to the chip?

Well I wanted to use something like this for the volt meter. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Digital-Voltmeter-AC-80-500V-Voltage-Measure-LCD-Panel-Meter-230V-110V-220V-/390895017063?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5b03289c67

But I'm not sure if I can use that or if I would have to use the half divider code specifically for Arduino.
Thank you,
Zig

It would almost certainly be order of magnitudes simpler to use the chips built in AtoD than trying to read off of that LCD.

Ok well that is good to know. Thank you for your help!
Zig

Related to Arduino & LCD Capacitor Voltage Project | Zig

1. What is an Arduino and how does it work?

An Arduino is an open-source electronic platform that is used to create interactive projects. It consists of a microcontroller, which is like a mini-computer, and a programming language that allows users to control electronic components and sensors. The microcontroller reads inputs from sensors and executes a set of instructions based on the program uploaded by the user.

2. What is an LCD and how does it work with an Arduino?

An LCD (Liquid Crystal Display) is a type of display screen that uses liquid crystals to display information. It is commonly used in electronic devices such as calculators, digital watches, and TVs. With an Arduino, an LCD can be used as an output device to display data or messages from the microcontroller.

3. What is a capacitor and why is it important in this project?

A capacitor is an electronic component that stores electrical energy. It consists of two conductive plates separated by an insulating material. In this project, the capacitor is used to stabilize the voltage output from the Arduino, which is important for the accuracy of the readings displayed on the LCD.

4. What is the ZigBee protocol and how does it work with the Arduino?

ZigBee is a wireless communication protocol that allows devices to communicate with each other using low-power radio signals. It is commonly used in home automation and Internet of Things (IoT) projects. With the ZigBee module, the Arduino can transmit data wirelessly to another device, such as a computer or smartphone.

5. Can I modify the code for this project to fit my specific needs?

Yes, the code for this project can be modified to fit your specific needs. The Arduino programming language, which is based on C++, allows for flexibility and customization. You can change the variables, add or remove functions, and modify the LCD display to suit your project requirements.