Archimedes' principle with 2 liquids

In summary, when a sphere of density 500 kg/m^3 floats on water (density of water = 1000 kg/m^3), 3/8 of its volume is below the waterline. If another liquid of density 200 kg/m^3 is added on top of the water, 3/8 of the sphere's volume is now below the waterline.
bulbasaur88
A sphere of density = 500 kg/m^3 floats on water (density of water = 1000 kg/m^3).

1. What fraction of the volume of the sphere is below the waterline?
---I understand this problem and I got the correct answer of 0.5

2. Another liquid of density 200 kg/m^3 is now added on top of the water. The second liquid will not mix with the water. What fraction of the volume of the sphere is now below the waterline?
--The answer is supposed to be 3/8.

I have been trying to find out how to do this for a long time, and I still do not understand how to figure it out but I have an inkling it will be on my final exam in a week! Please help me sound this out. Thank you!

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
bulbasaur88 said:
A sphere of density = 500 kg/m^3 floats on water (density of water = 1000 kg/m^3).

1. What fraction of the volume of the sphere is below the waterline?
---I understand this problem and I got the correct answer of 0.5

2. Another liquid of density 200 kg/m^3 is now added on top of the water. The second liquid will not mix with the water. What fraction of the volume of the sphere is now below the waterline?
--The answer is supposed to be 3/8.

I have been trying to find out how to do this for a long time, and I still do not understand how to figure it out but I have an inkling it will be on my final exam in a week! Please help me sound this out. Thank you!

How much of the 200 kg/m3 liquid is added? Is it enough so that no portion of the sphere will be above the 200 kg/m3 liquid ?

If so, it should become a proportion problem.

Assume that the depth of the second low-density liquid is high enough so the ball is totally immersed.

The origin of the buoyant force is hydrostatic pressure P which increases with depth and results in an upward force because of Pascal's Law: At a given depth D, the same force acts on a surface of area A, independent of its orientation.

The formula for the buoyant force is derived for block-shaped objects, but it is true for any shape.

The hydrostatic force is equal to pressure x area (F=PA) and it is directed opposite to the outer normal of the surface. So the hydrostatic force acts downward at the top upward at the base and horizontally inward at the sides of the block. The horizontal forces cancel so the resultant buoyant force points upward, as the pressure is higher at at the base, at higher depth.

When you have two liquids, with densities γ1 and γ2 and the block floats between them, the hydrostatic pressure at a depth D is equal to sum of the separate pressures. Taking also the atmospheric pressure Po into account, P2=Po+γ2D2g at the top surface, and P1=Po+γ2D3g +γ1(D2-D3)g at the base. The buoyant force on the block of base area A is
FB=gA(γ2(D3-D2) +γ1(D1-D3))

If the height of the block is h and x is the immersion depth in liquid 2, D3-D2=h-x and D1-D3=x.

So the buoyant force is FB=gA(γ1(x) +γ2(h-x) =g(γ1V12V2)
where V1 is the volume immersed in liquid 1 and V2 is the volume immersed in liquid 2.
The formula FB=g(γ1V12V2)
for the buoyant force in terms of the volumes in the separate liquids is valid for any shape of the immersed object.
Determine V1/Vsphere.

ehild

Attachments

• FB2.JPG
    FB2.JPG
    9.8 KB · Views: 593
Last edited:
You are amazing. Thank you so much! my final is in two days! this helps so much :)

Have successful exam.:smile:

ehild

Related to Archimedes' principle with 2 liquids

What is Archimedes' principle with 2 liquids?

Archimedes' principle with 2 liquids is a physical law that states that the buoyant force on an object submerged in two fluids is equal to the weight of the fluid displaced by the object.

How does Archimedes' principle with 2 liquids work?

When an object is placed in two liquids of different densities, it will displace a volume of each liquid proportional to the density of the liquid. The buoyant force from the denser liquid will be greater, causing the object to rise until it reaches a point where the buoyant force is equal to the weight of the object.

What are the applications of Archimedes' principle with 2 liquids?

Archimedes' principle with 2 liquids has various applications in industries such as oil and gas, where it is used to determine the density and composition of fluids. It is also used in the design of ships and submarines to ensure they have enough buoyancy to float and move through water.

How is Archimedes' principle with 2 liquids different from the original principle?

Archimedes' principle with 2 liquids is an extension of the original principle, which only considers the buoyant force of a single fluid. The two-liquid principle takes into account the different densities of two fluids and how they affect the buoyant force on an object.

Are there any limitations to Archimedes' principle with 2 liquids?

Archimedes' principle with 2 liquids assumes that the two liquids are immiscible and that there is no interaction between them. It also assumes that the object being submerged has a uniform density and is completely submerged in both liquids. These limitations can affect the accuracy of the principle in some situations.