Archimedes Area Approximation for x^2

In summary, Archimedes developed a method for approximating the area under a curve, specifically for the curve of a parabola represented by the equation x^2. This method, known as the "method of exhaustion," involved inscribing a series of polygons within the curve and calculating their areas. By increasing the number of sides of the polygons, Archimedes was able to approach the exact area under the curve, providing a valuable tool for calculating areas in geometry.
Feldoh
I heard that Archimedes proved geometrically that the area under the curve of x^2 is equal to x^3/3. I was just wondering if anyone could give me a link to the proof or try and explain it.

Thanks^^

Mathematics news on Phys.org
If you can get hold of a copy, read the intro chapter to Apostol's Calculus Vol.1.

neutrino said:
If you can get hold of a copy, read the intro chapter to Apostol's Calculus Vol.1.

Turns out I can get a hold of that.

Thanks guys^^

Related to Archimedes Area Approximation for x^2

1. How does Archimedes' area approximation for x^2 work?

Archimedes' area approximation for x^2 is a geometric method used to calculate the area under a curve. By inscribing and circumscribing regular polygons within a circle, Archimedes was able to estimate the area of the circle and, by extension, the area under a parabola. The more polygons used, the more accurate the approximation becomes.

2. Why is Archimedes' method useful for calculating the area under a curve?

Archimedes' method is useful because it provides a way to approximate the area under a curve without using calculus. This can be helpful in situations where calculus is not applicable, or when a quick estimation is needed.

3. What is the formula for calculating the area under a parabola using Archimedes' method?

The formula for calculating the area under a parabola using Archimedes' method is A = (3/4) * (b^2), where A is the area and b is the length of the base of the inscribed and circumscribed polygons.

4. How accurate is Archimedes' method for calculating the area under a parabola?

The accuracy of Archimedes' method depends on the number of polygons used. The more polygons used, the closer the approximation will be to the actual area. Archimedes himself was able to achieve an accuracy of three decimal places using this method.

5. Can Archimedes' method be used to calculate the area under other curves besides a parabola?

Yes, Archimedes' method can be used to calculate the area under other curves as long as they can be inscribed and circumscribed by regular polygons. However, the formula for calculating the area will vary depending on the shape of the curve.