Arc of a cylinder - would appreciate help

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the height and length of an arc on a cylinder. The formula for finding the height using Pitagora's theorem is mentioned and the conversation concludes with a humorous comment about doing their best work in bed.
m32dave
Would really appreciate help with the following:
Firstly, could someone answer this (simple?) question for something I am trying to make?
Secondly, could you give me the most straightforward formula for working it out if I change the length?

Hope this makes sense.
I have a cylinder. I have an arc exactly 2.000m long extending up from the base of the cylinder at 45 degrees following the elliptical arc. The diameter of the base is 4.990m What is the height of the arc? What is the length of the segment across the base, or the length of the arc around the cylinder base perpendicular to the end of the arc.

Big Thanks

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
If you "unroll" a cylinder you get a plane, so you can just use Pitagora's theorem:

height = base length = L/sqrt(2)

Petr Mugver said:
If you "unroll" a cylinder you get a plane, so you can just use Pitagora's theorem:

height = base length = L/sqrt(2)

Thanks,for putting it succinctly. I figured the same thing out in my bed last night.

In bed- that's where I do my best work!

Hello,

The height of the arc on your cylinder can be calculated using the following formula:

h = r - √(r² - (d/2)²)

Where:
h = height of the arc
r = radius of the cylinder (d/2)
d = diameter of the cylinder

To find the length of the segment across the base, or the length of the arc around the cylinder base perpendicular to the end of the arc, you can use the formula for arc length:

s = rθ

Where:
s = arc length
r = radius of the cylinder
θ = angle in radians (in this case, 45 degrees converted to radians is approximately 0.7854)

So, the length of the segment across the base would be:
s = (4.990/2)(0.7854) = 1.9636m

I hope this helps. Good luck with your project!

Related to Arc of a cylinder - would appreciate help

1. What is the arc of a cylinder?

The arc of a cylinder is a curved line that can be traced along the surface of a cylinder. It is similar to the arc of a circle, but it is a three-dimensional curve rather than a two-dimensional curve.

2. How is the arc of a cylinder calculated?

The arc length of a cylinder can be calculated using the formula Arc Length = 2πrθ, where r is the radius of the cylinder and θ is the central angle in radians.

3. What is the difference between the arc of a cylinder and the arc of a circle?

The main difference is that the arc of a cylinder is a three-dimensional curve while the arc of a circle is a two-dimensional curve. Additionally, the arc of a cylinder has a radius and central angle that are measured in three dimensions, while the arc of a circle is measured in two dimensions.

4. How is the arc of a cylinder used in real life?

The arc of a cylinder is used in many real-life applications, such as the design of cylindrical objects like pipes, barrels, and bottles. It is also used in engineering and architecture for creating curved structures and surfaces, and in mathematics for calculating the volume and surface area of a cylinder.

5. Can the arc of a cylinder be larger than the circumference of the cylinder?

No, the arc of a cylinder cannot be larger than the circumference of the cylinder. The circumference is the distance around the circular base of the cylinder, while the arc length is the distance along the curved surface. The circumference will always be greater than the arc length in a cylinder.