What are the galactic coordinates of the Cosmic Microwave Background hotspot?

• Thread starter marcus
  • Start date
In summary, an online calculator has been provided by an astronomer named Murphy at Johns Hopkins University which converts celestial coordinates to galactic coordinates. The COBE team published a paper in 1996 which discussed the Cosmic Microwave Background hotspot and its corresponding speed. The calculator can be used to check the galactic coordinates given by the COBE team, which are in close agreement. The hotspot is located in the constellation Leo, with the cold spot likely being in Aquarius. The sun's speed relative to the CMB can be expressed as 1.23 thousandths of the speed of light. Leo has been visible in the sky frequently this spring.
marcus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
http://fuse.pha.jhu.edu/support/tools/eqtogal.html

An astronomer named Murphy at Johns Hopkins University
has provided an online calculator going from celestial to
galactic coordinates

We should try it out, and so, for instance

In 1996 the COBE team published

http://arxiv.org/PS_cache/astro-ph/pdf/9601/9601151.pdf

"The Dipole Observed in the COBE DMR Four-Year Data"

In which they said that the Cosmic Microwave Background hotspot was located at

(11 h 12 m, -7.22 degrees)

And that it corresponded to a speed of 1.23 E-3
(1.231 +/- 0.008 x 10-3 is what they actually said
but for convenience I'm not giving confidence intervals)

I was pleased to see that they expressed the solar system's speed relative to the CMB as the fraction of the speed of light just quoted, as well in the usual way.

They also gave galactic coordinates for the hotspot, which can provide a check of Murphy's calculator.

(11 h 12 m, -7.22 degrees) happens to be in the constellation Leo.

I find that if I put those equatorial coords into the calculator it gives me (have to do this and get back...) galactic coords:

(265.3 degrees, +48.2 degrees)

This is pretty close to what the COBE team published for the galactic coordinates of the hotspot, which was:

(264 degrees, +48 degrees)

I rounded off their figures which had a couple of more decimal places and confidence intervals in the last two digits, which I don't show. So it is not surprising to get an answer that's a degree different---calculator itself is approximate---but anyway close enough.

If the hotspot is in Leo the cold spot would be in Aquarius or thereabouts.

If you want the speed of the sun's motion w/rt CMB to be in meters per second, as you should if you use metric units exclusively, then multiply their figure of 1.231 E-3
by 299792458 meters per second. For my part I shall think of the the sun's speed relative to the expansion of the universe as
1.23 thousandths of the speed of light.

Leo has been in the sky a lot of evenings this spring

Last edited by a moderator:
Astronomy news on Phys.org
It looks like a useful tool.

What is Murphy's Galactic Gizmo?

Murphy's Galactic Gizmo is a revolutionary invention that allows space travelers to harness the energy of black holes for propulsion and energy generation.

How does Murphy's Galactic Gizmo work?

The Gizmo uses a complex system of gravitational lenses and magnetic fields to capture the immense energy of a black hole and convert it into usable energy for spacecraft.

What makes Murphy's Galactic Gizmo different from other space propulsion technologies?

Murphy's Galactic Gizmo is unique in its ability to harness the energy of black holes, which was previously thought to be impossible. It also uses renewable energy sources, making it more sustainable for long space journeys.

How safe is Murphy's Galactic Gizmo for space travel?

The Gizmo undergoes rigorous testing and has proven to be safe for space travel. However, as with any technology, there are always potential risks and precautions that must be taken.

Can Murphy's Galactic Gizmo be used for interstellar travel?

Yes, the Gizmo is designed to be used for long-distance space travel, including interstellar journeys. Its efficient use of black hole energy makes it a viable option for exploring deep space.