Corrosion Resources: Socioeconomic Implications & Prevention

In summary, the conversation is about a project on the socioeconomic implications of corrosion and prevention, and the person is looking for good websites to gather information. They specify that they are interested in the socioeconomic aspects rather than just the technical aspects of corrosion. Some suggestions for research include looking at replacement costs for infrastructure and comparing maintenance costs to catastrophic failures, as well as referencing a materials science textbook which mentions the high costs of corrosion prevention.
KLscilevothma
Hi all, I'm doing a project on socioeconomic implications of corrosion and prevention. Do you have any good websites where I can get information of this topic? It seems to me that it's kinda difficult to find relavent information from the internet. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Biology news on Phys.org
I'm not sure if I can help with this, but I will ask one question:

Corrosion of what, specifically?

Knowing that might help.

For example iron, and I want to get more information on socioeconomic implications rather than corrosion and preventions.

Thanks

I'm going to kick this over to Other Sciences to see if it gets some more action there.

You can look at replacement costs for "infrastructure," roads, bridges, pipelines, sewer systems, dams, and the costs of catastrophic failures in such vs. maintenance. The service lives of merchant vessels vs. drydocking and rebuilding, undercoating auto bodies vs. rusting fenders falling off and filling the ditches of the Jersey tnpk, scheduled aircraft inspection and replacement of critical airframe components (particularly in marine or near marine service environments), galvanized steel vs. "un-" in farm storage buildings, warehouses, commercial structures, -----

A materials science/engineering textbook would be a good resource. In one of my classes they mentioned how much corrosion prevention costs. The numbers are staggering.

1. What is corrosion and why is it important to study?

Corrosion is a natural process that occurs when metals react with their surrounding environment, resulting in the deterioration of the metal. It is important to study because it can have significant economic and safety implications, as it can cause damage to infrastructure, equipment, and structures.

2. What are the socioeconomic implications of corrosion?

The socioeconomic implications of corrosion are vast and can include financial losses due to repairs and replacements, decreased productivity, and even environmental impacts. It can also lead to safety hazards, such as structural failures and accidents, which can have a significant impact on society.

3. How can corrosion be prevented?

Corrosion prevention techniques vary depending on the type of metal and its surrounding environment. Some common prevention methods include the use of protective coatings, corrosion-resistant materials, cathodic protection, and proper maintenance and inspection practices.

4. What role do socioeconomic factors play in corrosion prevention?

Socioeconomic factors play a significant role in corrosion prevention as they can affect the resources and priorities allocated towards prevention measures. For example, a lack of funding or resources may lead to inadequate maintenance and ultimately, increased corrosion and its associated costs.

5. How can scientists contribute to the prevention of corrosion?

Scientists play a crucial role in the prevention of corrosion by conducting research and developing new materials and techniques to prevent and mitigate corrosion. They also contribute to the development of standards and regulations for corrosion prevention and provide expertise and advice to industries and governments.