Arc Length and Rotation, Please Explain this problem

In summary, the conversation discusses a mistake in an image attachment and a question about obtaining new terms of integration. The correct substitution and computation for the new limits is provided as well as an explanation for the process of substitution in a definite integral.
stripedcat
EDIT: Okay now that the admin has cleaned up my mess, please scroll down to see the correct image and the question on the 3rd post in this thread.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I suspect you've attached the wrong image...:D

MarkFL said:
I suspect you've attached the wrong image...:D

Indeed.

Here it is.

Can somebody explain how to get the new terms of integration? I understand the rest of it. I know where everything else came from, I don't know how they altered the terms of integration to 1 to 2305

View attachment 2811

And if anyone can delete that image above that would be helpful.

EDIT: and even at that, 4^3 * 36 = 2304, so plus 1... 1 to 2305, but why?

Attachments

• MATH what now2.jpg
    MATH what now2.jpg
    10.1 KB · Views: 43
Whenever you make a substitution in a definite integral, everything that is in terms of the old variable must be changed in accordance with the substitution to be in terms of the new variable. This includes the integrand, the differential, and the limits.

Now, the substitution used is:

\(\displaystyle u(x)=1+9x^4\)

and so we compute:

\(\displaystyle u(0)=1+9(0)^4=1\)

\(\displaystyle u(4)=1+9(4)^4=2305\)

So, these are our new limits.

Sort of amusing coinsidence then that 4^3 * 36 is 1 shy of what I was looking for... Heh.

But thank you!

Related to Arc Length and Rotation, Please Explain this problem

1. What is arc length and how is it related to rotation?

Arc length is the distance along the curve of a circle or other curved shape. It is directly related to rotation as it represents the amount of rotation needed to travel along the curve from one point to another.

2. How is arc length calculated?

Arc length is calculated using the formula s = rθ, where s is the arc length, r is the radius of the circle, and θ is the central angle in radians.

3. Can arc length and rotation be expressed in different units?

Yes, arc length can be expressed in units of length (such as meters or feet) and rotation can be expressed in units of angle (such as radians or degrees).

4. What is the relationship between arc length and the circumference of a circle?

The circumference of a circle is equal to the arc length of a full rotation around the circle. This relationship can be expressed as C = 2πr, where C is the circumference and r is the radius of the circle.

5. How is arc length and rotation used in real-world applications?

Arc length and rotation are used in many real-world applications, such as in engineering, physics, and geometry. For example, in engineering, it is used to calculate the distance traveled by a rotating object, and in physics, it is used to calculate the distance an object travels in circular motion. In geometry, it is used to find the length of curved shapes, such as circles and arcs.