Arbitrary Circulation Calculation with Fourier Series

In summary, the conversation discusses the concepts of Fourier series and the three different types of Fourier series. The three different alphas refer to the coefficients in each type of series, while the theta in the equation represents the phase angle. It is recommended to review notes or a textbook for a better understanding of these concepts in order to solve the problem.
Carter

Homework Statement

upload_2018-4-9_22-18-59.png

Homework Equations

upload_2018-4-9_22-19-20.png

upload_2018-4-9_22-20-1.png

The Attempt at a Solution

I am stuck trying to figure out why there are three different alphas and why in the equation we are supposed to use has a theta and what that means. If I can set up the Fourier series I can properley I know how to solve it for the stuff I need I just don't know where all these angles are coming from. [/B]

Attachments

• upload_2018-4-9_22-18-59.png
    upload_2018-4-9_22-18-59.png
    13.9 KB · Views: 648
  • upload_2018-4-9_22-19-20.png
    upload_2018-4-9_22-19-20.png
    23.1 KB · Views: 730
  • upload_2018-4-9_22-20-1.png
    upload_2018-4-9_22-20-1.png
    44.6 KB · Views: 652
Physics news on Phys.org

Hi there,

It sounds like you are working on a problem involving Fourier series. The three different alphas that you are seeing are most likely referring to the three different types of Fourier series: Fourier series of even functions, Fourier series of odd functions, and Fourier series of arbitrary periodic functions. These three series have slightly different forms and coefficients, which may be why you are seeing three different alphas.

As for the theta in the equation, this is most likely referring to the phase angle in the Fourier series. This angle represents the shift or delay in the periodic function, and is important in determining the coefficients of the series.

I would suggest reviewing your notes or textbook to better understand the concept of Fourier series and how the different angles and coefficients are used in solving these types of problems. Good luck with your homework!

Related to Arbitrary Circulation Calculation with Fourier Series

1. What is Arbitrary Circulation Calculation with Fourier Series?

Arbitrary Circulation Calculation with Fourier Series is a mathematical technique used to calculate the circulation of a fluid flow around an arbitrary closed curve. It involves using Fourier series to represent the velocity field and then applying the Cauchy integral theorem to calculate the circulation.

2. Why is Arbitrary Circulation Calculation with Fourier Series important in fluid dynamics?

Arbitrary Circulation Calculation with Fourier Series is important in fluid dynamics because it allows for the calculation of circulation around arbitrary shapes, which is not possible with other methods such as the Kelvin-Stokes theorem. This technique is particularly useful in the study of complex flows, such as those found in aerodynamics and ocean currents.

3. How is Fourier series used in Arbitrary Circulation Calculation?

Fourier series is used in Arbitrary Circulation Calculation by representing the velocity field as a sum of sinusoidal functions. This representation allows for the application of the Cauchy integral theorem, which states that the circulation around a closed curve can be calculated by integrating the velocity field along the curve.

4. What are the advantages of using Arbitrary Circulation Calculation with Fourier Series?

There are several advantages to using Arbitrary Circulation Calculation with Fourier Series. Firstly, it allows for the calculation of circulation around arbitrary shapes, which is not possible with other methods. Additionally, it is a more accurate method for calculating circulation compared to other techniques, as it takes into account the entire velocity field, rather than just the tangential component.

5. Are there any limitations to Arbitrary Circulation Calculation with Fourier Series?

One limitation of Arbitrary Circulation Calculation with Fourier Series is that it requires prior knowledge of the velocity field, which may not always be available in practical applications. Additionally, it can be computationally expensive for complex velocity fields, requiring a large number of Fourier coefficients to accurately represent the velocity field.