Arahnov - Bohm effect and U(1) bundles

• Thread starter lavinia
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bundles
In summary: No. I am talking about a gauge potential."In summary, Chern's paper discusses a connection on a principal fiber bundle on Minkowski space. The Aharonov-Bohm effect can be predicted by coupling electrons and the gauge field. The electric and magnetic fields are "physical" or gauge invariant, but the vector potential is not "physical", since it changes according to gauge. Physical quantities must be gauge invariant or "geometric". In quantum EM, there are these non-local effects like the Aharonov-Bohm phase. The integral is gauge invariant but nonlocal (since it integrates over space). We could attempt to use these gauge-invariant nonlocal loops to
lavinia
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I read in a differential geometry paper that Maxwell's equations can be formulated in terms of a connection on a Hermitian line bundle on Minkowski space.

I understand the derivation of the field strength 2 form,the proof that Maxwell's equations say that its exterior derivative is zero and its codifferential is the current density 1 form, and that there must exist a gauge potential whose exterior derivative equals the field strength.But how does the Arahnov-Bohm effect make this interpretation preferable? How is it reflected in this mathematical formulation?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The Aharonov-Bohm effect can be predicted by coupling electrons and the gauge field. The Aharonov-Bohm phase is a gauge invariant quantity (Eq 7 of http://arxiv.org/abs/0711.4697 ).

Lavinia, what paper are you reading ?

dextercioby said:
Lavinia, what paper are you reading ?

It is "Vector Bundles with a Connection" by Chern

It appears in

Math. Sci. Research Inst. (1987) 1-23

I have it in the collected works of Chern.

atyy said:
The Aharonov-Bohm effect can be predicted by coupling electrons and the gauge field. The Aharonov-Bohm phase is a gauge invariant quantity (Eq 7 of http://arxiv.org/abs/0711.4697 ).

Thanks for the reference. Is there a free version of this paper?

lavinia said:
Thanks for the reference. Is there a free version of this paper?

I think there's a link to the free version of the paper at the top right of that page (in the "Download" box).

The Aharonov-Bohm effect is a quantum effect. So for classical EM, we don't need the vector potential. The vector potential or gauge field is just a redundant way of describing electric and magnetic fields. The electric and magnetic fields are "physical" or gauge invariant, but the vector potential is not "physical", since it changes according to gauge. Physical quantities must be gauge invariant or "geometric". In quantum EM, there are these non-local effects like the Aharonov-Bohm phase. The integral is gauge invariant but nonlocal (since it integrates over space). We could attempt to use these gauge-invariant nonlocal loops to describe physics, but in order to preserve a manifestly local description (especially one manifestly consistent with special relativity), it is more convenient to use the gauge field, even though it is not "physical".

I linked to the paper only because it's free, but there are probably better references in standard textbooks, since that paper is mainly about anyons. Let me see if I can find more standard references. Googling suggests
http://www.ece.rice.edu/~kono/ELEC563/2005/AharonovBohm.pdf
http://www-dft.ts.infn.it/~resta/fismat/lez_berry.pdf
http://iopscience.iop.org/1751-8121/43/35/350301

You can also try looking up Wilson loops (I think mathematicians call these "holonomies").

Last edited:
lavinia said:
It is "Vector Bundles with a Connection" by Chern

It appears in

Math. Sci. Research Inst. (1987) 1-23

I have it in the collected works of Chern.

Thanks, too bad it's not online. But I bet it's a good read.

Likes lavinia
dextercioby said:
Thanks, too bad it's not online. But I bet it's a good read.

I find Chern's papers super hard to read. They are terse and leave almost all computatuion to the reader.

But I found these lectures well presented

http://empg.maths.ed.ac.uk/Activities/GT/Lect1.pdfhttp://empg.maths.ed.ac.uk/Activities/GT/Lect1.pdf

Just change the Lect1 to Lect2 and 3 and 4 to get the whole thing.

I am told that Physicists invented the idea of gauge potential and Mathematicians the idea of connection on a principal fiber bundle independently and at some point one of each were talking, maybe Simons and Yang, and the mathematician said "Oh. You are talking about a connection,"

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Arahnov - Bohm effect and U(1) bundles

1. What is the Aranov-Bohm effect?

The Aranov-Bohm effect is a quantum phenomenon that occurs when a charged particle is affected by an electromagnetic field, even when the particle does not directly interact with the field. This effect can be observed in experiments involving charged particles moving through a region of space where there is a non-zero magnetic field, but the particles are shielded from the field itself.

2. How does the Aranov-Bohm effect relate to U(1) bundles?

The Aranov-Bohm effect is closely related to U(1) bundles, which are mathematical structures used to describe the behavior of charged particles in quantum mechanics. In particular, the effect can be understood in terms of the topological properties of U(1) bundles, which dictate how particles move and interact within a given electromagnetic field.

3. What is the significance of the Aranov-Bohm effect in quantum physics?

The Aranov-Bohm effect is significant in that it provides evidence for the fundamental role of electromagnetic fields in the behavior of charged particles. It also highlights the deep connection between topology and quantum mechanics, as described by U(1) bundles. Additionally, the effect has important implications for understanding the nature of particles and their interactions at the subatomic level.

4. Can the Aranov-Bohm effect be observed in everyday life?

While the Aranov-Bohm effect is a well-established phenomenon in quantum physics, it is not typically observable in everyday life. This is because the effect is most pronounced in experiments involving particles with extremely small mass and high energy, such as electrons in a particle accelerator. However, the principles underlying the effect have important applications in fields such as condensed matter physics and nanotechnology.

5. How does the Aranov-Bohm effect differ from other quantum effects?

The Aranov-Bohm effect is distinct from other quantum effects, such as the Aharonov-Casher effect and the Aharonov-Bohm-Casher effect, which also involve the interaction of charged particles with electromagnetic fields. However, all of these effects share a common origin in the fundamental properties of U(1) bundles and their topological structure.