Rachel's Thoughts on What is Most Convincing or Unconvincing in Reality

• Thread starter honestrosewater
  • Start date
In summary, Rachel believes that reality is most convincing when it feels most real to her. She is doubtful of some senses, but is most reliable with touch and sight. Pain and food are also real to her. Funny, if everybody did everything I expected them to, I'd celebrate. Phlegm is a pleasure to have and perfect beings would not need emoticons.
honestrosewater
Gold Member
What about reality do you find most convincing? or unconvincing?

Me, stubbing my toe into something is pretty convincing ;)
Having conversations with 'other people' is pretty convincing.

Happy thoughts
Rachel

Physics news on Phys.org
most convincing part of my reality is that it all feels so real. yet it doesn't seem real.

Why? i do not know.

honestrosewater said:
Having conversations with 'other people' is pretty convincing.
Anytime I interact with other people, reality is more concrete. It is when my mind is left to its own devices that I ever begin to question reality. Shared experience with others is a way of determining that reality exists (if everybody did everything I expected them to, I would start questioning reality BIG TIME).

Pain is real. So is food :D

Funny, if everybody did everything I expected them to, I'd celebrate :rofl:

(yes, I just wanted to use the new smiley)

honestrosewater said:
Funny, if everybody did everything I expected them to, I'd celebrate :rofl:

(yes, I just wanted to use the new smiley)
If everybody thought alike, nobody would need ME! :cry: (love these new smileys!)

The fact that I so vehemently hate emoticons is quite real to me.

loseyourname said:
The fact that I so vehemently hate emoticons is quite real to me.
They should make a smiley for that!

How would you rank the reliability of the senses, if pressed? Do you believe one sense more than another? For instance, if it looks like an orange, smells like a banana, feels like a pineapple, sounds like a coconut, and tastes like an apple- what is it? :yuck:
I am most doubtful of sight, then touch, sound, smell, and taste. Loosely, in order of complexity.
Happy thoughts
Rachel

I distrust sound the most. I have been fooled many times by a sound I've heard for which my mind then ascribed an explanation which turned out to be false.

My smell and taste were compromised by cigarettes and alcohol, and even after more than ten years of abstinence they are my weakest senses. I will say that smells do have a long memory and tend to evoke images from the past with amazing accuracy.

Touch and sight, when coupled, are my most reliable senses. I realize they can be fooled, but in my experience they tell me most about my reality.

The things I find convincing are the things that seem to be done poorly. If I were living in an artificial construction there would be no phlegm. I just can't imagine that any super-intelligent being would include phlegm in any universe it made up.

Njorl

I agree, touch and sight complement each other the best.

What? How can you not appreciate phlegm- why, if I designed the world, everything would be made of phlegm! :biggrin:

Hope I'm not annoying everyone, but I like these kinds of questions.
If you could add *one* of the following to your current abilities, which would you choose?
Omnipotence, omnibenevolence, omnipresence, omnificence, omniscience, or any other "omni[blank]"? I think I would choose omnipotence. hmm... must think :grumpy:

One of my favorite quotes from the x-files:

Your scientists have yet to discover how neural networks create self-consciousness, let alone how the human brain processes two-dimensional retinal images into the three-dimensional phenomenon known as perception. Yet you somehow brazenly declare seeing is believing?

honestrosewater said:
What? How can you not appreciate phlegm- why, if I designed the world, everything would be made of phlegm!

Phlegm is OK with me; getting a mouthful of the substance out of my system when I'm sick is one of those great little pleasures in life.

If you could add *one* of the following to your current abilities, which would you choose? Omnipotence, omnibenevolence, omnipresence, omnificence, omniscience, or any other "omni[blank]"?

Omnipotence without omniscience is too dangerous. Omniscience is not desirable; there are things I'd rather not know. Omnibenevolence.. are you kidding? Omnipresence... hmmm, travel is a lot more fun. Omnificence... I'm too busy already.

I think I'd choose omniaffluence - an endless supply of money! And a little omnivirility wouldn't hurt either :tongue2:

If you were omnipotent, you could make yourself omniscience and omnibenevolence and whatever other omni[blank] you wanted ;)
Would any of you not trust yourself with unlimited power?

If you had unlimited power you could make your self into a perfect being who knows all. Would you trust yourself with unlimited power if you were perfect? I would.

If I were omnipotent, I would get rid of all emoticons.

THANOS said:
Would you trust yourself with unlimited power if you were perfect? I would.
Perfection is a highly unstable state. The Heisenberg uncertainty principle says your perfection would eventually diminish, then you would be left with imperfect omnipotence.

I keep thinking if I won $50 million in the lottery I would use the money for good instead of just being another flashy millionaire. But I just know that not having to earn my way in life would affect me in a bad way no matter what.

Phi For All said:
Perfection is a highly unstable state. The Heisenberg uncertainty principle says your perfection would eventually diminish, then you would be left with imperfect omnipotence.

Ah, but if you are omnipotent, the uncertainty principle only holds if you make it hold- you can do- or undo- whatever you want. You don't have to obey any rules, not even your own. loseyourname could get rid of :surprise: before it existed. It's a crazy idea.

:yuck: :eek: :biggrin: :wink: :rofl: :frown: :cry: :zzz: :mad: :uhh: :surprise: :redface: :devil: :grumpy: :rolleyes: :approve: :smile: :confused: :shy: :tongue2:

Try to control your emoticons, THANOS!

sorry, now smile and just forget my last post my friend.

Like so...

Attachments

• smiley001.gif
    smiley001.gif
    1.3 KB · Views: 457
OK, you're omnipotent, but with a catch: you have to do things one at a time. What is the first thing you would do and why?

Stop time! :devil:

:grumpy: leave things as they are. I'm sure if i was omnipotent i would realize that everything is fine the way it is. But I'm not omnipotent so I'll stick with my views. lol

Last edited:
THANOS said:
sorry, now smile and just forget my last post my friend.

Like so...

LOL .....

1. What does Rachel consider to be the most convincing aspect of reality?

Rachel believes that the most convincing aspect of reality is the existence of empirical evidence. This includes scientific experiments, observations, and data that can be objectively measured and verified.

2. How does Rachel define "unconvincing" in the context of reality?

Rachel defines "unconvincing" as anything that lacks sufficient evidence or logical reasoning to support its existence or validity in reality. This can include subjective beliefs, conspiracy theories, and pseudoscience.

3. Why does Rachel value critical thinking when examining reality?

Rachel values critical thinking because it allows for a thorough and unbiased evaluation of evidence and claims about reality. It helps to avoid falling for false information or unsupported beliefs.

4. What role do personal biases play in one's perception of reality, according to Rachel?

Rachel acknowledges that personal biases can greatly influence one's perception of reality. These biases can lead to cherry-picking evidence, confirmation bias, and a reluctance to accept information that goes against one's beliefs.

5. Does Rachel believe that there is a single "truth" in reality?

No, Rachel does not believe that there is a single objective truth in reality. She recognizes that our individual experiences and perceptions can shape our understanding of reality, and that different people may have different interpretations of what is true.