Approximation: The right way to do it

In summary: I offered the following: "In summary, when making approximations, it is important to consider the purpose and level of accuracy needed. In some cases, it may be necessary to keep higher order terms, while in others, only the zeroth or first order terms are needed. It is important to carefully consider and understand the problem at hand before making any approximations."
Vibhor

Homework Statement

?temp_hash=864c5213c8fd69e78dae18f4e6eb7e50.png

Homework Equations

ΔE = hf

The Attempt at a Solution

f = ΔE/h = ##k\left [ \frac{1}{(n-1)^2} - \frac{1}{n^2} \right ]##

= ## \frac{k(2n-1)}{n^2(n-1)^2}##

= ## \frac{k}{n^4}(2n-1)(1-\frac{1}{n})^{-2}##

= ## \frac{2kn}{n^4}(1-\frac{1}{2n})(1+\frac{2}{n} +## higher powers ## )##

≈ ## \frac{2k}{n^3}(1-\frac{3}{2n}) ## . If I neglect the second term in the bracket , then I get option 3) , but I doubt whether I can do that because I need to retain atleast first order terms .

how should I proceed ?

Any help is appreciated .

Thanks

Attachments

• question.PNG
    question.PNG
    13.7 KB · Views: 520
Last edited:
Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
Why do you think you need to retain the -3/2n term (which, incidentally, is wrong)?

It should be ≈ ## \frac{2k}{n^3}(1+\frac{3}{2n}) ## . Don't we retain the first order terms while making approximations ?

Vibhor said:
It should be ≈ ## \frac{2k}{n^3}(1+\frac{3}{2n}) ## . Don't we retain the first order terms while making approximations ?
It depends on the approximation. You keep as many terms as necessary to get an answer that is sufficiently accurate for purpose.
In many cases, e.g. in developing differential calculus, the zeroth order terms cancel, so it is essential to keep first order terms. In the present problem, the zeroth order term is enough.

Likes Vibhor
Ok .
haruspex said:
In many cases, e.g. in developing differential calculus, the zeroth order terms cancel, so it is essential to keep first order terms. In the present problem, the zeroth order term is enough.

Could you please explain with examples , at least two :smile:

Vibhor said:
Ok .Could you please explain with examples , at least two :smile:
Limit problems illustrate it. What is limit of (1-cos(x))x-2 as x tends to 0? When you expand the cos(x) as a power series, you have to keep the x2 term, but no further. But if you wanted the limit of (1-cos(x))x-1 you would only need to keep the zeroth and first order terms. Sometimes you find you did not keep enough and have to start again.

In a thread I recently got in an argument over, people who should have known better (including the problem setter) were effectively keeping some second order terms and discarding others. That's a no-no. It can lead you into thinking you have a valid solution when you do not.

Likes Vibhor and Delta2
haruspex said:
What is limit of (1-cos(x))x-2 as x tends to 0? When you expand the cos(x) as a power series, you have to keep the x2 term, but no further. But if you wanted the limit of (1-cos(x))x-1 you would only need to keep the zeroth and first order terms.

I think in both the cases we need to write cos(x) ≈ 1 - x2/2 .

What do you mean by "you would only need to keep the zeroth and first order terms " ?

Vibhor said:

Homework Statement

?temp_hash=864c5213c8fd69e78dae18f4e6eb7e50.png

Homework Equations

ΔE = hf

The Attempt at a Solution

f = ΔE/h = ##k\left [ \frac{1}{(n-1)^2} - \frac{1}{n^2} \right ]##

= ## \frac{k(2n-1)}{n^2(n-1)^2}##

= ## \frac{k}{n^4}(2n-1)(1-\frac{1}{n})^{-2}##

= ## \frac{2kn}{n^4}(1-\frac{1}{2n})(1+\frac{2}{n} +## higher powers ## )##

≈ ## \frac{2k}{n^3}(1-\frac{3}{2n}) ## . If I neglect the second term in the bracket , then I get option 3) , but I doubt whether I can do that because I need to retain atleast first order terms .

how should I proceed ?

Any help is appreciated .

Thanks
For large ##n>0## we have
[tex] \frac{1}{(n-1)^2} = \frac{1}{n^2} \left(1 - \frac{1}{n} \right)^{-2} = \frac{1}{n^2} \left( 1 + \frac{2}{n} + \cdots \right) \doteq \frac{1}{n^2} + \frac{2}{n^3} [/tex]

Vibhor said:
I think in both the cases we need to write cos(x) ≈ 1 - x2/2 .

What do you mean by "you would only need to keep the zeroth and first order terms " ?
If we keep only the zeroth and first order terms of the cos(x) expansion in (1-cos(x))x-1 we get (1-1+(0)x+O(x2))x-1=0+O(x), which tends to 0.

Ray Vickson said:
For large ##n>0## we have
[tex] \frac{1}{(n-1)^2} = \frac{1}{n^2} \left(1 - \frac{1}{n} \right)^{-2} = \frac{1}{n^2} \left( 1 + \frac{2}{n} + \cdots \right) \doteq \frac{1}{n^2} + \frac{2}{n^3} [/tex]

We have to multiply this by ## \frac{k(2n-1)}{n^2}##

## ≈ k \left ( \frac{2}{n^3} + \frac{3}{n^4} - \frac{2}{n^5}\right ) ##

Now , since ##\frac{2}{n^3}## is the biggest and the most dominant term , hence we neglect the other terms and keep only the ## \frac{2}{n^3}## .

Is this what you are trying to convey ?

Vibhor said:
We have to multiply this by ## \frac{k(2n-1)}{n^2}##

## ≈ k \left ( \frac{2}{n^3} + \frac{3}{n^4} - \frac{2}{n^5}\right ) ##

Now , since ##\frac{2}{n^3}## is the biggest and the most dominant term , hence we neglect the other terms and keep only the ## \frac{2}{n^3}## .

Is this what you are trying to convey ?

The way you are doing it requires the factor ##k(2n-1)/n^2##, but not the way I am doing it. Look again.

nrqed said:
I agree that the -3/2 n should be dropped but why are you saying it is wrong? The OP included all the terms of order 1/n in the parenthesis so it looks to me that the coefficient -3/2 is actually correct.
The sign is wrong. Vibhor corrected it in post #3.

Ray Vickson said:
The way you are doing it requires the factor ##k(2n-1)/n^2##, but not the way I am doing it. Look again.
Ray, I see no real difference between your method and Vibhor's. Isn't it just a matter of the order of the steps? If you take one more term in your expansion you will get Vibhor's original result (with the sign correction).

haruspex said:
Ray, I see no real difference between your method and Vibhor's. Isn't it just a matter of the order of the steps? If you take one more term in your expansion you will get Vibhor's original result (with the sign correction).

Well, I was hoping to get the OP to look at things more simply. It is a lot easier to get
[tex] f/k = \frac{1}{(n-1)^2} - \frac{1}{n^2} [/tex]
directly as
[tex] f/k = \left( \frac{1}{n^2} + \frac{2}{n^3} + \frac{3}{n^4} + \cdots \right) - \frac{1}{n^2} \\
= \frac{2}{n^3} + \frac{3}{n^4} + \cdots [/tex]
than by writing
[tex] f/k = \frac{2n-1}{n^2} \left( \frac{1}{n^2} + \frac{2}{n^3} + \frac{3}{n^4} + \cdots \right) [/tex]
and then doing more algebra plus collecting terms, etc. The OP did ask for the right way to do it.

Likes Vibhor
haruspex said:
The sign is wrong. Vibhor corrected it in post #3.
Oops. Gotcha. I was so focused on checking the 3/2 that I did not pay attention to the sign. Sorry.

Related to Approximation: The right way to do it

1. What is approximation and why is it important in science?

Approximation is the process of estimating or finding an approximate value or solution for a problem. It is important in science because many real-world problems are too complex to be solved exactly, and approximation allows us to find a close enough solution that is still useful for practical purposes.

2. How do scientists use approximation in their research?

Scientists use approximation in various ways, depending on their field of study. In mathematics and physics, approximation is used to simplify complex equations and make them easier to solve. In biology and ecology, approximation is used to estimate population sizes and predict changes in ecosystems. In engineering, approximation is used to design and optimize structures or systems.

3. What are some common methods of approximation used by scientists?

Some common methods of approximation used by scientists include numerical methods such as Newton's method, interpolation, and extrapolation. Other methods include linearization, asymptotic analysis, and dimensional analysis.

4. What are the potential limitations of using approximation in scientific research?

One potential limitation is that the accuracy of the approximation depends on the quality of the method used and the assumptions made. In some cases, the error of the approximation may be too large to be useful. Additionally, approximation may not provide a complete understanding of the problem and may overlook important details.

5. How can scientists determine if their approximation is reliable?

Scientists can determine the reliability of their approximation by comparing it to exact solutions, if available, or by testing the results against real-world data. They can also perform sensitivity analysis to see how small changes in the input values affect the output of the approximation. Additionally, using multiple methods of approximation and comparing the results can help determine the reliability of the approximation.