Approximation Problems (Finding an equation of a Tangent Line)

In summary, the problem is to find the equation of the tan line for a specific problem. Next, the function values and the tan line values at f(x+delta x) and y(x+delta x) must be found.
mathkid3
I am asking for simple guidance on this problem.

f(x) = 3x^2-1, (2,11)I do believe I need to obtain an equation for tan line so first step I think is to use point slope or slope intercept (a friendly reminder to the name of formula would be very nice :))

y - ysub1 = m(x-xsub1)

= y - f(2) = f '(2)(x-2)

= y - 11 = 12(x-2) =

y = 12x -13

am I correct thus far obtaining the equation of the Tan Line for this specific problem?

also, what is my next step ? I am told after I get the equation for the tan line to then find the function values and the tan line values at f(x + delta x) and y(x+delta x) for delta x = -0.01 and 0.01

Thanks very much !

Physics news on Phys.org
Your tanget line is correct.

The function values will be of the form f(x-0.01), can you continue?

Yes, that is the correct tangent line. The formula you used is aptly named the point-slope formula, because it contains as parameters, the slope $\displaystyle m$ and the point $\displaystyle (x_1,y_1)$.

For the next step, evaluate:

$\displaystyle f(x\pm0.01)$ and $\displaystyle y(x\pm0.01)$.

so like this...

f(1.99) = 3(1.99)-1 = 4.97
f(2.01) = 3(2.01)-1 = 5.03

and

y(1.99) = 12(1.99)-1 = 22.88
y(2.01) = 12(2.01) - 1 = 23.12Is this right fellas?(Thinking)

No, the reason the values are so far off, is that x is squared in the function definition and you need to subtract 13, not 1 in your tangent line. Try it again, and your values will be much closer.

wow...I made the changes and they were easy changes I missed

the new values Mark is 10.8803,11.1203

y function values are as follows

10.88 and 11.12

Thanks Mark! What would I ever do without you? Think on my own ? (Envy)

Yes, those values are correct!

Hey, it was a simple mistake, the kind most of us make from time to time. So don't be discouraged. You will get better at recognizing when you have made a mistake like this. Your clue this time was the fact that the values were so far apart.(Wave)

1. What is an approximation problem?

An approximation problem involves finding an equation that closely approximates the behavior of a mathematical function.

2. How do you find the equation of a tangent line?

To find the equation of a tangent line, you need to first find the slope of the tangent line at a specific point on the curve. This can be done by taking the derivative of the function at that point. Then, you can use the point-slope formula to find the equation of the tangent line.

3. Why is it important to find the equation of a tangent line?

The equation of a tangent line can provide valuable information about the behavior of a function at a specific point. It can also be used to approximate the value of the function at nearby points. Additionally, the slope of the tangent line can indicate the rate of change of the function at that point.

4. What is the difference between an exact equation and an approximate equation?

An exact equation is one that represents the true behavior of a mathematical function, while an approximate equation is an estimation of that behavior. An approximate equation may have a margin of error, whereas an exact equation does not.

5. Can the equation of a tangent line be used to predict future behavior of a function?

No, the equation of a tangent line is only valid at a specific point on the curve and cannot be used to predict future behavior of a function. To make predictions, a more accurate model or additional data points are needed.