Approximation of specific heat, Debye model

So, in summary, the problem involves using the Taylor series to approximate an exponential function in order to evaluate a specific heat equation. To get a more accurate result, it is necessary to carry out the expansion to the third term and then perform an integration. This results in a value for the specific heat that includes a factor of 0.05, which can be obtained by dropping out a term in the multiplication of two series.
Lindsayyyy
Hi everyone

I have trouble with this task

Homework Statement

the specific heat cv is given by
[tex] c_v =\frac {N_A k_b \hbar^2}{{\Omega_D}^3 {k_b}^2 T^2} \int \limits_{0}^{\Omega_D} \! \frac {\Omega^4 exp\frac{\hbar \Omega}{k_b T}}{{(exp\frac{\hbar \Omega}{k_b T}-1})^2} \, d\Omega [/tex]

I shall show that the approximation for high temperatures leads to:

[tex] c_v=3 N_A k_b [1-0.05 (\frac{\Theta_D}{T})^2][/tex]

Homework Equations

[tex] k_b \Theta_D= \hbar \Omega_D[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to approximate my exponential function with the taylor seris, so I get for the exponential function something like:

[tex] exp(x) \approx 1+x[/tex] whereas x is equal to (h*omega)/(kbT)

I will only have x^2 in my denominator and x^2 in my numerator (because I neglect the h*omega/(kbT) in the numerator because T is very high).

But this only leads me to the Dulong Petit law. I have no idea where the minus as well as the 0.05 should come from.

I also tried to approach the whole fraction via taylor but that didn't work out. Furthermore I tried to approximate via taylor until x^2, didn't work out either.

Can anyone help me out with this?

Thanks for your help in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to carry more terms in the expansions. You are trying to evaluate

[tex]\frac{x^4e^x}{(e^x-1)^2}[/tex]

You need to keep the following terms:
[tex]e^x=1+x+\frac{x^2}{2}+...[/tex]
[tex](e^x-1)=x+\frac{x^2}{2}+\frac{x^3}{6}+...[/tex]
[tex](e^x-1)^2=x^2(1+x+\frac{7x^2}{12}+...)[/tex]
[tex]\frac{x^4}{(e^x-1)^2}=x^2(1-x+\frac{5x^2}{12}+...)[/tex]
Chet

Ok, thank you very much.

I will try that later

Well I tried it now, but I have a question.

We act on the asumption x^4/(...)^2 which means we already neglect the exponential function in the numerator. How can it be that I'm allowed to approximate my exponential function in the numerator then get to the expression x^4/(...)^2 and then I approximate the whole term. I don't see any logic behind that. Am I not supposed to approximate both exponential functions if I do it with one?

Thanks for your help

Lindsayyyy said:
Well I tried it now, but I have a question.

We act on the asumption x^4/(...)^2 which means we already neglect the exponential function in the numerator. How can it be that I'm allowed to approximate my exponential function in the numerator then get to the expression x^4/(...)^2 and then I approximate the whole term. I don't see any logic behind that. Am I not supposed to approximate both exponential functions if I do it with one?

Thanks for your help

I'm not sure I understand your question. The real point I was trying to emphasize is that you need to get the first three terms in the series exact.

I didn't intend to indicate that you only need one term for the exponential in numerator. I showed the three term series for the exponential in the numerator in my first equation. But I didn't show its product with x^4/(...)^2. I wanted to leave that for you to do. When you carry out this multiplication of the two series, you will find that one of the terms drops out. Once you do the integration, you will see where the 0.05 comes from.

Chet

Thanks for your reply.

Yeah, I'm sorry, my english is not the best.

I think I finally understood it now, how you meant it in the first place. I misinterpreted your first reply.

Related to Approximation of specific heat, Debye model

1. What is specific heat and why is it important in the Debye model?

Specific heat is a measure of the amount of heat needed to raise the temperature of a substance by a certain amount. In the Debye model, specific heat is important because it helps us understand how the atoms in a solid vibrate and interact with each other.

2. How does the Debye model approximate specific heat?

The Debye model uses the concept of lattice vibrations to approximate the specific heat of a solid. It assumes that the atoms in a solid are arranged in a regular lattice and vibrate at specific frequencies. By considering the different types of vibrations and their associated energies, the Debye model can estimate the specific heat of a solid at different temperatures.

3. What is the Debye temperature and how does it affect the Debye model?

The Debye temperature is a characteristic temperature for a material, which represents the temperature at which all of the lattice vibrations are excited. It affects the Debye model by setting an upper limit on the temperature range in which the model can accurately predict the specific heat of a solid.

4. What are the limitations of the Debye model in approximating specific heat?

The Debye model has several limitations, including the assumption of a perfect lattice structure, the neglect of anharmonic effects, and the inability to accurately predict specific heat at very low temperatures. It also does not take into account the electronic contributions to specific heat, which can be significant for certain materials.

5. How does the Debye model compare to other models for approximating specific heat?

The Debye model is a simple and widely used model for approximating specific heat, but it is not always accurate. Other models, such as the Einstein model and the Bose-Einstein model, take into account different factors and can provide more accurate predictions in certain cases. Overall, it is important to consider the strengths and limitations of each model when choosing the most appropriate one for a specific material or temperature range.