Approximating solutions on non-rectangular domains

• Thread starter maka89
  • Start date
  • Tags
    domains
In summary: Methods of Theoretical Physics, by Morse and Feshbach, has a whole lot about how to the choose coordinate system to fit the problem domain. You might have a look there!
maka89
Hello!
I have been studying some pertubation theory lately which i found very useful.
I then started thinking about how to approximate solutions to a 2d boundary value problem if the difficulty lies in the geometry of the boundary(I.e. not rectangular), and not in the diff. equation itself(i.e. the diff. equation has a closed form analytical solution for a rectangular domain).

Does anyone have thoughts on how to approximate such solutions if the domain is close to being rectangular?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If the boundary geometry is close to the "easy" one, you can perturb it. For example, suppose you have a square whose right side, at ## x=L ##, is a little wonky. You might be able to write your boundary condition as something like ## T(x=L+\epsilon(y),y) = 0 ##. Taylor expand this:

## T(L+\epsilon(y),y) \approx T(L,y) + \frac{\partial T}{\partial x}(L,y)\epsilon(y) = 0 ##. Now put in your perturbative series, ## T = T_0 + \epsilon(y) T_1 ## (I've truncated it at first order to keep life simple!). We get

## T_0(L,y)+\epsilon T_1(L,y)+\frac{\partial T_0}{\partial x}(L,y)\epsilon = 0 ##,

and collecting terms with like powers of ## \epsilon ## gives

## T_0(L,y) = 0 ##,

and

## T_1(L,y) = -\frac{\partial T_0}{\partial x}(L,y) ##.

Notice how this mimicks the thing that usually happens: We get the zeroth order approximation and use it to build the first order one, etc. All the boundary conditions are now in terms of what happens at ## x = L ##. I should note, though, that the ##y## dependence in ##\epsilon## might really complicate the differential equation!

Last edited:
Great! thanks for the answer!
But what if the boundary is a little wonky several places and is given for instance as: The value at the curve f(x,y) = 0 should be g(x,y) ? Is there any feasible way of attacking the problem then?

My only hunch is to swith to a curvilinear coordinate system where the boundary is rectangular(I don't know how to do this yet, but am reading up), and treat the terms arising from the scaling factors not being 1 in the differential equation as pertubations.

Methods of Theoretical Physics, by Morse and Feshbach, has a whole lot about how to the choose coordinate system to fit the problem domain. You might have a look there! I'm not sure what else could be done for complicated cases, other than resorting to numerical methods.

I forgot to mention, if the solution can be thought of as an analytic complex function, then you can sometimes use conformal mapping methods.

maka89 said:
Hello!
I have been studying some pertubation theory lately which i found very useful.
I then started thinking about how to approximate solutions to a 2d boundary value problem if the difficulty lies in the geometry of the boundary(I.e. not rectangular), and not in the diff. equation itself(i.e. the diff. equation has a closed form analytical solution for a rectangular domain).

Does anyone have thoughts on how to approximate such solutions if the domain is close to being rectangular?

If you have an analytical parametrisation of each "side" as a function [itex]f: [0,1] \to \mathbb{R}^2[/itex] then you can construct an analytical map from [itex][0,1]^2[/itex] to the domain. If the domain is close to rectangular then the map should be close to affine and the Jacobian should be close to constant.

Related to Approximating solutions on non-rectangular domains

1. How do you define a non-rectangular domain?

A non-rectangular domain is any shape or region that is not a rectangle. This can include irregular shapes, curves, and even three-dimensional surfaces.

2. What methods can be used to approximate solutions on non-rectangular domains?

There are several methods that can be used to approximate solutions on non-rectangular domains, including finite element analysis, boundary element methods, and spectral methods.

3. What are the advantages of using spectral methods for approximating solutions on non-rectangular domains?

Spectral methods have the advantage of being highly accurate and efficient for problems with smooth solutions. They can also handle irregular and non-uniform domains more easily than other methods.

4. How do you ensure accuracy when approximating solutions on non-rectangular domains?

To ensure accuracy, it is important to use a sufficiently fine mesh or grid to discretize the domain. Additionally, using higher-order basis functions or elements can also improve the accuracy of the approximation.

5. Can approximating solutions on non-rectangular domains be applied to real-world problems?

Yes, approximating solutions on non-rectangular domains is widely used in various fields of science and engineering, such as fluid dynamics, structural analysis, and electromagnetics. It allows for more realistic and accurate simulations of real-world problems.