Approximating magnetic field as the field of magnetic dipole

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the magnetic field on the z axis for a square wire loop with a counterclockwise current. The magnetic field is given by Bz = 2μ0Ia2/[(a2 + z2)(2a2 + z2)0.5]. It then goes on to discuss approximating the field as that of a magnetic dipole for z/a >> 1 and finding the magnetic moment. The equation for the field of a magnetic dipole is B=(μ0/4πr3)*[3(m⋅r')r'-m]. The attempt at a solution involves approximating terms and finding z3 in the denominator, but having trouble matching the rest of the
phys-student

Homework Statement

A square wire loop of size 2a by 2a lies in the x- y plane with its center at the origin and sides parallel to the x and y axes. A counterclockwise current I runs around the loop.
(a) Find the magnetic field on the z axis. [Answer: Bz = 2μ0Ia2/[(a2 + z2)(2a2 + z2)0.5]]
(b) Show that for z/a >> 1 the field becomes that of a magnetic dipole, and find the magnetic moment.

Homework Equations

Field of a magnetic dipole:
B=(μ0/4πr3)*[3(m⋅r')r'-m]

where r is the distance to the field point, m is the magnetic moment, and r' is a unit vector pointing towards the field point

The Attempt at a Solution

I have already done part a and got the correct expression for the magnetic field. For part b, I said that since z/a >> 1 the term (a2+z2) could be approximated as z2 and the term (2a2+z2) could be approximated by z2. This gives me z3 in the denominator which is good since it matches the equation for the field of a magnetic dipole but I can't get the rest of the terms to match. Can someone help me? I think I've either made the wrong assumption or I'm not properly evaluating the term in the square brackets in the equation for field of a magnetic dipole.

Physics news on Phys.org
phys-student said:

Homework Statement

A square wire loop of size 2a by 2a lies in the x- y plane with its center at the origin and sides parallel to the x and y axes. A counterclockwise current I runs around the loop.
(a) Find the magnetic field on the z axis. [Answer: Bz = 2μ0Ia2/[(a2 + z2)(2a2 + z2)0.5]]
(b) Show that for z/a >> 1 the field becomes that of a magnetic dipole, and find the magnetic moment.

Homework Equations

Field of a magnetic dipole:
B=(μ0/4πr3)*[3(m⋅r')r'-m]

where r is the distance to the field point, m is the magnetic moment, and r' is a unit vector pointing towards the field point

The Attempt at a Solution

I have already done part a and got the correct expression for the magnetic field. For part b, I said that since z/a >> 1 the term (a2+z2) could be approximated as z2 and the term (2a2+z2) could be approximated by z2. This gives me z3 in the denominator which is good since it matches the equation for the field of a magnetic dipole but I can't get the rest of the terms to match. Can someone help me? I think I've either made the wrong assumption or I'm not properly evaluating the term in the square brackets in the equation for field of a magnetic dipole.
For a dipole located at the origin with its axis along z, what would be the vector [itex] \vec{m} [/itex]? For a point on the z axis, what would be the unit vector [itex] \vec{r}' [/itex] ?

Related to Approximating magnetic field as the field of magnetic dipole

1. What is a magnetic dipole?

A magnetic dipole is a simplified model used to represent the magnetic field of an object. It consists of two poles, a north pole and a south pole, that are equal in strength and opposite in direction, separated by a small distance.

2. How is the magnetic field of a dipole calculated?

The magnetic field of a dipole can be approximated using the equation B = μ0M/r^3, where B is the magnetic field, μ0 is the permeability of free space, M is the dipole moment, and r is the distance from the dipole.

3. What types of objects can be approximated as magnetic dipoles?

Small, compact objects such as magnets, atoms, and subatomic particles can be approximated as magnetic dipoles. In larger objects, the magnetic field may be more complex and cannot be accurately represented by a dipole.

4. How does the direction of the magnetic dipole moment relate to the direction of the magnetic field?

The direction of the magnetic dipole moment is from the south pole to the north pole, while the direction of the magnetic field is from the north pole to the south pole. This means that the magnetic field lines point in the same direction as the dipole moment.

5. What are the limitations of using a magnetic dipole to approximate a magnetic field?

Using a magnetic dipole to approximate a magnetic field is only accurate for small, compact objects. It does not take into account the complex nature of larger objects or the effects of external magnetic fields.