Approximating H Wavefunction Circular State for Large n

In summary, the problem involves evaluating the expectation value of the radial portion of the hydrogen wave function for circular states of the atom with l = n-1. The wave function is given in terms of the spherical harmonics and the associated Legendre polynomial. Using the fact that n>>1, the problem can be simplified and the expectation value can be determined by integrating away the angular dependence.
teroenza
1. Homework Statement
We are studying circular states of the hydrogen atom (states where the l quantum number is = n-1). We are asked to evaluate [itex] \langle \Psi_{n,n-1,n-1}| r_{n,l=n-1}|\Psi_{n,n-1,n-1}\rangle [/itex]. The wave function is that of the hydrogen atom, and the thing we are taking the expectation value of is the radial portion of the hydrogen wave function.

We are also told that n>>1. 2. Homework Equations 3. The Attempt at a Solution
I'm confused about how to construct the wavefunction with n being left general (not a numeric value). Forming the spherical harmonics requires using the associated Legendre polynomial [itex] P_{n-1,n-1}(\theta) [/itex], but the derivative [itex] \frac{d^{2n}}{d\theta^{2n}}(\theta^2-1)^{n-1} [/itex] necessary to do that is where I'm stuck.

I feel that using the fact that n>>1 will help simplify this, but I'm not sure how.

Physics news on Phys.org
You could do a few test cases, n = 20, 30, 40, 50, ..., 100.

Then look for the trend or fit the values you determine for the expectation value for r as a function of n.

I see. In this case I can just use the orthonormality of the spherical harmonics to integrate away the angular dependence.

Likes Dr. Courtney

Related to Approximating H Wavefunction Circular State for Large n

1. What is an H wavefunction?

The H wavefunction is a mathematical representation of the probability distribution of electrons in an atom's energy level. It describes the shape and orientation of an electron's orbital.

2. What do you mean by "approximating" the H wavefunction?

Approximating the H wavefunction means using mathematical techniques to estimate the shape and orientation of the electron's orbital for large values of the principal quantum number (n).

3. Why is approximating the H wavefunction important?

Approximating the H wavefunction allows us to predict the behavior of electrons in atoms with high accuracy, which is essential for understanding chemical bonding and other properties of matter.

4. What does "circular state" refer to in the context of approximating H wavefunction?

The circular state refers to the shape of the electron's orbital, which is circular for large values of n. This simplifies the approximation process and makes it easier to calculate the wavefunction.

5. How does the accuracy of approximating the H wavefunction change with increasing n?

The accuracy of approximating the H wavefunction decreases as n increases, since the electron's orbital becomes more complex and difficult to predict. However, advanced mathematical techniques can help improve the accuracy for large values of n.