Approximating Field of Permanent Magnet with Micro-Currents?

In summary, the magnetic field of a permanent magnet is determined by the combined effects of billions of microscopic magnetic moments, which can be approximated using the Biot-Savart Law for microscopic currents. To arrange these currents in space, one could stack circular current loops, similar to stacking cans in a picture. However, this model may not be accurate as it does not take into account the off-axis solution from each current loop. Suggestions or changes to this simplistic model are welcome.
tade
According to theory, the magnetic field of a permanent magnet is due to the combined effects of billions of microscopic magnetic moments.

I'm trying to use the Biot -Savart Law for billions of microscopic currents to approximate a the field of a permanent magnet.

How should these currents (or circuits) be arranged in space?

Physics news on Phys.org
tade said:
According to theory, the magnetic field of a permanent magnet is due to the combined effects of billions of microscopic magnetic moments.

I'm trying to use the Biot -Savart Law for billions of microscopic currents to approximate a the field of a permanent magnet.

How should these currents (or circuits) be arranged in space?

How do you think those magnetic dipoles should be arranged in the first place? What do you think will happen to the bulk magnetization if these dipoles are randomly oriented?

BTW, who is torturing you to do such a silly thing?

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
How do you think those magnetic dipoles should be arranged in the first place? What do you think will happen to the bulk magnetization if these dipoles are randomly oriented?

BTW, who is torturing you to do such a silly thing?

Zz.
It is just out of curiosity.I was thinking of arranging them like the cans in this picture:

energy%20drink%20overload.jpg

Imagine that the rim of each can represents one circular circuit/current loop. Then we can stack layer upon layer of cans.

tade said:
It is just out of curiosity.I was thinking of arranging them like the cans in this picture:

energy%20drink%20overload.jpg

Imagine that the rim of each can represents one circular circuit/current loop. Then we can stack layer upon layer of cans.

Then I'd love to see how you will handle the summing up of the "infinite series" off-axis solution from each of these current loop.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
Then I'd love to see how you will handle the summing up of the "infinite series" off-axis solution from each of these current loop.

Zz.
Umm, thanks for the... encouragement?

ZapperZ said:

Would you like to give me some pointer/suggestions/changes to this simplistic model?

Related to Approximating Field of Permanent Magnet with Micro-Currents?

1. What is the purpose of approximating the field of a permanent magnet with micro-currents?

The purpose of approximating the field of a permanent magnet with micro-currents is to better understand and model the behavior of the magnetic field produced by the permanent magnet. This can help in various applications, such as designing magnetic sensors or motors.

2. How does the approximation process work?

The approximation process involves dividing the surface of the permanent magnet into small sections and calculating the magnetic field produced by each section using the Biot-Savart law. These individual fields are then combined to create an overall approximation of the magnetic field.

3. What are the limitations of using micro-currents to approximate a magnetic field?

One limitation is that the accuracy of the approximation depends on the size and shape of the micro-currents used. Additionally, the approximation may not accurately capture the effects of fringing fields or magnetic material properties of the permanent magnet.

4. How can the approximation be validated?

The approximation can be validated by comparing it to experimental measurements of the magnetic field. If there is a significant deviation between the approximation and the actual field, then adjustments can be made to improve the accuracy of the approximation.

5. Are there any other methods for approximating a magnetic field?

Yes, there are other methods such as using analytical equations, numerical simulations, or experimental measurements. Each method has its own advantages and limitations, and the choice of method depends on the specific application and level of accuracy required.