Weight on a string question

In summary, the acceleration of a weight hanging from a string is the difference in force between when the hand is above the weight and when it is pulling the weight down.
redshift
A weight weighing 0.2 kg is attached to a string that is raised/lowered vertically by hand. When the pulling force is 2.5 N, I'm supposed to find the acceleration.

Since the normal force in this case is N=mg=0.2(9.8)= 1.96 N, would the acceleration simply be the net force (2.5 N - 1.96 N = 0.54 N) divided by the mass?

Many thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
Why do you have a normal force? Isn't the weight hanging in the air? I guess you are talking about the string tension... so yes, your calcuation is correct.

Yes. When you are simply "holding" the weight, with no acceleration, you are applying a force equal to its weight, 0.2(9.8)= 1.96 N. It is the force beyond that, 2.5- 1.96 that causes the acceleration. Alternatively, you could divide the 2.5 N force by the mass to determine the acceleration you would get from that force alone, then subtract the acceleration due to gravity. It is, of course, exactly the same thing.

Thanks. After thinking about this some more, I'm a little confused about how this accerlation could be the same when the string is raised and lowered. That is, does wouldn't the pulling force be less when the weight is being lowered?

redshift said:
Thanks. After thinking about this some more, I'm a little confused about how this accerlation could be the same when the string is raised and lowered. That is, does wouldn't the pulling force be less when the weight is being lowered?

You are absolutely correct in that you will have different accelerations in lowering/raising, when applying a force with stated value 2.5N

If we by "pulling downwards" means that your hand is always below the weight and the string is taut, then
the acceleration experienced by the weight is found as:
(2.5+1.96)/0.2.

OK, I get it. As long as the hand is above the weight, regardless of direction, than the accerlation is the difference of a and g.

Eh, no:
If your hand is above the weight, holding the one end of the string, and you apply a downwards force of 2.5N ON THE STRING (You must assume the string has a mass dm here..), this will happen:
a) The string will loosen, and not transmit a force on the weight
(This happens, because any tensile force in a string only counteracts stretch in the string, never compression!)
b) Only gravity affects the weight now, it will experience free fall.
c) Since we may assume that the mass of the string is much less than the mass of the weight, the acceleration of the center of mass of the string will be much greater than 2.5/0.2+9.8 in the downwards direction.
(It's a bit difficult to consistently apply a force of 2.5N to the string, but that's a condition in the exercise)
The string will crumple up, your hand will either slam into the falling weight, or whizz past it dragging the string with it as well.

OK, NOW i get it. That's why the question said "pulling". And as you mentioned before, while it's possible to also "pull" downward, that's probably not what's meant.

I agree, however this MIGHT be a trap from the one that gave the exercise:
If you assume that that the hand is always above the weight, you get two distinct accelerations:
1. Proper pulling (the difference expression)
2. Free fall (g only!) when you're "pushing" the string downwards.
I suggest you make a careful reading of the text to see if this is what he had in mind)

1. What is the weight on a string question?

The weight on a string question is a physics problem that involves determining the weight of an object attached to a string based on the tension and angle of the string.

2. How do you solve the weight on a string question?

To solve the weight on a string question, you need to use the formula W = T * sinθ, where W is the weight, T is the tension in the string, and θ is the angle between the string and the vertical axis. You can also use trigonometric functions and equations of motion to solve this problem.

3. What are the factors that affect the weight on a string?

The weight on a string is affected by two main factors: the tension in the string and the angle between the string and the vertical axis. Other factors that may affect the weight include the length and thickness of the string, the material of the string, and external forces acting on the object.

4. Can the weight on a string question be applied to real-life situations?

Yes, the weight on a string question can be applied to real-life situations, such as measuring the weight of an object using a scale, determining the tension in a rope used for rock climbing, or calculating the forces acting on a pendulum. It is a useful concept in many fields, including engineering, physics, and sports.

5. Are there any limitations to the weight on a string question?

One limitation of the weight on a string question is that it assumes the string is ideal, meaning it has no mass and does not stretch. In real-life situations, these assumptions may not hold true and can affect the accuracy of the calculation. Additionally, this question only applies to objects in equilibrium and does not consider the effects of acceleration or non-uniform motion.