Appropriate arrangement of light meter circuit with LDR and resistor question:

In summary: Well, why don't you propose a method of interpreting a 'reading' from the circuit? What kinds of things might be measured in an operating circuit? Do you want your reading to be larger when there's more light, or less light? What varies in an LDR with changes in light, and how does it vary?
Caiti

Homework Statement

If you have a series 'light-meter' circuit with a cell EMF of 12V that must include both an LDR and a resistor only (in series), which way would you put them around to make this most effective and why?

~~~That is, would you have LDR then resistor, or resistor then LDR? And what would be the reasoning for this.

Homework Equations

n/a

The Attempt at a Solution

If you have a series 'light-meter' circuit with a cell EMF of 12V, wouldn't the appropriate arrangement of a resistor and an LDR be to have the positive end of the battery connected to the LDR and then the resistor, as opposed to having a resistor and then LDR? I can't work out why though.

Physics news on Phys.org
Caiti said:

Homework Statement

If you have a series 'light-meter' circuit with a cell EMF of 12V that must include both an LDR and a resistor only (in series), which way would you put them around to make this most effective and why?

~~~That is, would you have LDR then resistor, or resistor then LDR? And what would be the reasoning for this.

Homework Equations

n/a

The Attempt at a Solution

If you have a series 'light-meter' circuit with a cell EMF of 12V, wouldn't the appropriate arrangement of a resistor and an LDR be to have the positive end of the battery connected to the LDR and then the resistor, as opposed to having a resistor and then LDR? I can't work out why though.

Hi Caiti, Welcome to Physics Forums.

I don't see any "meter" in your light-meter :smile: Perhaps the answer lies in knowing how one is to interpret the "reading" from this device.

gneill said:
Hi Caiti, Welcome to Physics Forums.

I don't see any "meter" in your light-meter :smile: Perhaps the answer lies in knowing how one is to interpret the "reading" from this device.
Hey,
While I totally agree with your comment, this is a question I've pulled straight from a book of them - and there is definitely no additional information there. I'm assuming the exact way of measuring light was to be disregarded; however I'm obviously not certain about this.

Caiti said:
Hey,
While I totally agree with your comment, this is a question I've pulled straight from a book of them - and there is definitely no additional information there. I'm assuming the exact way of measuring light was to be disregarded; however I'm obviously not certain about this.

Well, why don't you propose a method of interpreting a 'reading' from the circuit? What kinds of things might be measured in an operating circuit? Do you want your reading to be larger when there's more light, or less light? What varies in an LDR with changes in light, and how does it vary?

As a scientist, the most effective arrangement would be to have the LDR before the resistor in the circuit. This is because the LDR (light-dependent resistor) is a type of variable resistor that changes its resistance based on the amount of light it receives. By placing the LDR before the resistor, the resistance in the circuit will change depending on the amount of light, allowing for more accurate readings from the light meter.

If the resistor was placed before the LDR, it would always have a fixed resistance, regardless of the amount of light, and therefore the readings from the light meter would not be as precise.

Additionally, having the LDR before the resistor also allows for a wider range of resistance values, as the LDR can have a much higher range of resistance compared to a fixed resistor. This allows for more flexibility in the circuit and can result in more accurate readings.

In summary, the most effective arrangement for a light-meter circuit with an LDR and resistor would be to have the LDR before the resistor.

Related to Appropriate arrangement of light meter circuit with LDR and resistor question:

1. How does a light meter circuit with LDR and resistor work?

The LDR (Light Dependent Resistor) is a type of resistor that changes its resistance based on the intensity of light that falls on it. The resistor is connected in series with the LDR, and the output voltage is taken across the resistor. As the light intensity changes, the resistance of the LDR changes, which in turn affects the output voltage of the circuit.

2. What is the role of the resistor in the light meter circuit?

The resistor is used to limit the current flow in the circuit and to create a voltage drop. It also helps to protect the LDR from excessive current and to stabilize the output voltage of the circuit.

3. How do I choose the appropriate resistor for the light meter circuit?

The value of the resistor depends on the sensitivity and range of the LDR, as well as the desired output voltage range. It is recommended to use a potentiometer as the resistor, so the value can be adjusted to find the optimal range for the specific application.

4. Can I use a different type of resistor in the light meter circuit?

Yes, you can use a different type of resistor, such as a fixed resistor, in the light meter circuit. However, the value of the resistor may need to be adjusted to compensate for the different characteristics of the resistor.

5. What are the potential applications of a light meter circuit with LDR and resistor?

A light meter circuit can be used in various applications, such as in photography to measure the amount of light for proper exposure, in automatic lighting systems to adjust the brightness according to the ambient light, and in energy-saving systems to control the use of artificial lighting based on natural light availability.