Approaching potential graduate supervisors

In summary, the speaker is considering applying to graduate school for statistics and values supervisors who provide good pastoral support and are not solely focused on coursework. They do not respond well to supervisors who are all business or hands-off. The speaker is seeking advice on how to find out about potential supervisors' styles without seeming inappropriate, such as asking current graduate students or lecturers.
Hello,

I am considering applying to graduate school for study in statistics in possibly a year or two. I know from studying both at residential universities and distance learning that I respond well to supervisors who provide good pastoral support and can have a chat about more than just coursework.

I do not enjoy working with, or respond well to, supervisors who are all business or quite hands off. I feel like I am communicating with a sophisticated search engine: lots of useful, relevant information but not exactly friendly.

How might I find out what potential supervisors are like, without coming across as weird or inappropriate? Can I just ask the admissions office for email addresses of current graduate students? Or is it OK to make contact with lecturers and ask their supervisory style?

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
I would ask their students.

Related to Approaching potential graduate supervisors

1. How do I approach potential graduate supervisors?

The best way to approach potential graduate supervisors is to first do your research. Look into their areas of expertise and publications to see if their research aligns with your interests. Then, reach out to them through email or in person, expressing your interest in their work and your qualifications. Be sure to be professional and respectful in your communication.

2. What should I include in my initial email to a potential graduate supervisor?

In your initial email, you should introduce yourself and your academic background, express your interest in their research, and highlight any relevant experience or skills you have. Additionally, you can attach your CV and any other relevant materials, such as a research proposal or writing sample, to showcase your qualifications.

3. How many potential graduate supervisors should I contact?

It is recommended to contact around 3-5 potential graduate supervisors. This will give you a good variety of options to choose from and increase your chances of finding a suitable supervisor. However, make sure to prioritize quality over quantity and only reach out to supervisors whose research aligns with your interests.

4. What if a potential graduate supervisor doesn't respond to my initial email?

If a potential graduate supervisor does not respond to your initial email, do not take it personally. They may be busy or have already reached their capacity for accepting new students. If you do not hear back after a week or two, you can send a follow-up email to politely inquire about the status of your application.

5. What questions should I ask a potential graduate supervisor during our meeting?

During your meeting with a potential graduate supervisor, you can ask questions about their research, their expectations for graduate students, and the resources and opportunities available for graduate students in their program. You can also ask about their mentoring style and how they support their students' professional development. Additionally, you can ask about the application process and timeline for their program.