Approaching Light Speed: Why Would It Fail?

In summary: So you would still have to accelerate your spaceship in the opposite direction to compensate, and you still can't reach the speed of light.In summary, the conversation involves a dream about a society that could manipulate matter and energy to create a wormhole for a starship to travel through at a constant acceleration without using fuel. However, this idea is not feasible in the real world due to the limitation of velocities not adding together in a 1+1=2 fashion and the impossibility of creating wormholes. The concept of creating a black hole in front of the spacecraft is also discussed, but it is still not a viable solution due to the need for exotic matter and the conservation of momentum.
jonatron5
Ok Little background knowledge I am a huge scifi nerd I know some about modern physics mostly conceptual not mathematical The limit of my mathematics is the rocket equation. Anyway as most good ideas this one came to me in my sleep. I understand that the general convention is travel to the speed of light is impossible on the grounds that your essentially having to use proportionally more and more fuel for proportionally less and less acceleration and while I can't even remotely claim I understand the reasoning behind that I accept it as true.

my dream involved a society that had mastered the concept of subatomic particle physics and could manipulate matter and energy at will through massive expenditure of energy. They had a starship in space that they managed to open a small wormhole in front of with a gravitational attraction of 10m/s . the end of the wormhole being set up within the outer edges of the openings gravitational sphere of influence. The achieved effect was a constant acceleration as the acceleration grew more intense they would slowly move the ends of the wormholes closer and closer together. This gave to there projectile (ship in this case) velocity derived without expenditure of fuel. Now in the real world why would this not work?

Also upon waking I thought wouldn't it work better if they created a black hole infront of there craft at a fixed distance of say 100km out from the event horizon and they could create it such that it would have any amount of acceleration at any vector they chose. and could dissapate it at will.

Physics news on Phys.org
There are a number of ways to get around the problem of carrying fuel, but none of them have anything to do with the issue you are facing.

The issue is that velocities don't actually add together in a 1+1=2 fashion, so no matter what acceleration you give your spaceship over any time (or forever), it still won't ever reach the speed of light. See here for more:
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Velocity-addition_formula

Wormholes probably can't exist. But if even if they can, they probably can't do what you say. The parts of the wormhole have mass (maybe negative?), and so they have momentum. Momentum is conserved, so accelerating your spaceship this way will require accelerating the wormhole somehow. Anyways, it's safe to say it's impossible.

jonatron5 said:
in the real world why would this not work?

Because you're assuming that wormholes can be created by "manipulating matter and energy". They can't. You would need exotic matter and energy, which nobody has ever observed, and which according to our best current theories can't exist.

jonatron5 said:
wouldn't it work better if they created a black hole infront of there craft at a fixed distance of say 100km out from the event horizon and they could create it such that it would have any amount of acceleration at any vector they chose. and could dissapate it at will.

This is a little better, since in principle you could create a black hole by "manipulating matter and energy". But having once created it, you can't dissipate it at will, and the only effect of creating it is going to be that the ship will fall into it. So this won't work either.

Even if you could dissipate a black hole, you still have conservation of momentum. The black hole has momentum. It has to go somewhere when you dissipate it.

Related to Approaching Light Speed: Why Would It Fail?

1. What is the speed of light and why is it considered to be the fastest speed?

The speed of light, denoted by the letter c, is approximately 299,792,458 meters per second. It is considered to be the fastest speed because according to Einstein's Theory of Special Relativity, the speed of light is a fundamental constant that cannot be exceeded by any object with mass.

2. How close have we come to approaching the speed of light and with what technology?

The closest we have come to approaching the speed of light is with particle accelerators such as the Large Hadron Collider, where particles have been accelerated to 99.9999991% of the speed of light. Other technologies, such as ion thrusters and solar sails, have been able to achieve speeds much closer to the speed of light, but they still fall short due to the limitations of current propulsion systems.

3. What would happen if an object were to reach the speed of light?

According to the Theory of Special Relativity, an object with mass cannot reach the speed of light. As it approaches the speed of light, its mass would increase infinitely and require an infinite amount of energy to continue accelerating. Additionally, time would slow down for the object, and it would appear to become shorter in length. This is known as time dilation and length contraction.

4. What are some potential consequences of attempting to travel at the speed of light?

One potential consequence is the immense amount of energy that would be required to accelerate an object to the speed of light. This would make it impractical for most forms of transportation. Additionally, time dilation and length contraction could have significant effects on the human body, potentially causing health problems or even death. There is also the risk of collisions with interstellar debris at such high speeds.

5. Are there any proposed solutions to overcome the limitations of approaching the speed of light?

Scientists are continuously researching and developing new technologies that could potentially overcome the limitations of approaching the speed of light. Some proposed solutions include using antimatter propulsion, which would require significantly less energy than traditional propulsion methods, and developing ways to manipulate spacetime to reduce the effects of time dilation and length contraction. However, these solutions are still in the theoretical stages and would require significant advancements in technology to become a reality.