Approach to mathematics (tips?)

In summary, the conversation discusses different approaches to learning mathematics, with one person preferring to memorize formulas and identities while another suggests using diagrams and understanding the structure of proofs. The Feynman method is also mentioned as a potential learning strategy.
Daveyzombie
I feel like my approach to mathematics is strange, sometimes I just think about memorizing something when I see something new. I feel like memorizing something is the fastest way to learn because once you memorize it the logic seems to reveal itself.

I'm trying to learn trigonometric identities now and I am having a difficult time solving them and provide proofs.

I have no problem memorizing the identities but solving them is quite difficult for me.

So I was wondering how you people here on PF approach new math concepts and how you might learn them. Maybe there is something I can try that I am not doing.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Memorizing formulas and identities only gives you very limited understanding, too limited. Learn to draw good reference graphs and make diagrams. Fit your expressions to those, meaning label the parts and use this to either make derivations or conduct proofs.

Likes Daveyzombie
You don't understand what you do if you just memorize various formulas. That approach might work in the early years of school, but it will fail quickly once you get to actual mathematics.

The only mathematics-parts I ever memorized actively were names of theorems and some details of them no one ever uses - for an exam.

Likes Daveyzombie
I think it is good to memorize the structure and the "idea" of certain longer proofs. Some proofs contain steps that do not follow naturally from those that precede them. When I prepare a talk, I aim to memorize enough to be able to fill in the gaps "on the go", but not much more than that. Mostly that works, sometimes it doesn't. In the latter case it's bad luck.

Thanks for all your input. I'll trying a new approach to learning something. I saw a video on youtube about the Feynman method and I've been trying that out too.

Related to Approach to mathematics (tips?)

1. What is the best way to approach mathematics?

The best way to approach mathematics is to start by understanding the fundamentals and building a strong foundation. This includes practicing basic concepts, such as arithmetic operations and equations, before moving on to more complex topics. It is also important to actively engage with the material and not just memorize formulas or equations. Additionally, seeking help from teachers or peers and practicing regularly can greatly improve one's understanding of mathematics.

2. How can I improve my problem-solving skills in mathematics?

To improve problem-solving skills in mathematics, it is important to first understand the problem by reading it carefully and identifying the key information. Then, break down the problem into smaller, more manageable parts and determine the appropriate mathematical concepts and formulas to use. It is also helpful to practice solving similar problems and to think critically and creatively while approaching a problem.

3. What are some tips for tackling difficult math concepts?

Some tips for tackling difficult math concepts include breaking them down into smaller, more manageable parts, seeking help from teachers or peers, and using visual aids or real-life examples to better understand the concept. Additionally, practicing regularly and not getting discouraged by mistakes can greatly improve understanding and mastery of difficult math concepts.

4. What is the importance of understanding mathematical proofs?

Understanding mathematical proofs is important because it allows one to fully comprehend and justify mathematical concepts and theorems. It also helps develop critical thinking skills and the ability to analyze and evaluate arguments. Moreover, understanding mathematical proofs can aid in problem-solving and provide a deeper understanding of mathematical concepts.

5. How can I stay motivated while learning mathematics?

To stay motivated while learning mathematics, it is important to set realistic goals and celebrate small victories. It can also be helpful to find a study group or study partner to keep each other accountable and motivated. Additionally, trying to find the real-world applications and relevance of mathematical concepts can make learning more engaging and enjoyable.