Applying time reversal to the free particle wavefunction

In summary, the conversation discusses the application of time reversal to a free particle wavefunction and the difference between the results obtained by the speaker and those presented in a textbook. It is clarified that simply replacing t by -t does not yield the time-reversed state for spinless particles, and that for particles with spin, a more complex approach is needed. The concept of a time reversal operator in quantum mechanics is also mentioned.
Hypersquare
Hi there!

I have tried to apply time reversal (which makes t -> -t) to a free particle wavefunction:

Exp[i(p.r-Et)/[itex]\hbar[/itex]]

and got:

Exp[-i(p.r-Et)/[itex]\hbar[/itex]]

I got this by flipping the sign of p since it has a d/dt part, and flipping the t in the Et part. However I think this is wrong since in B.R. Martin's Nuclear and particle physics (page 12) he gets:

Exp[-i(p.r+Et)/[itex]\hbar[/itex]]

What have I missed?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Hypersquare. We would like the time reversed wavefunction to represent another free particle with opposite momentum but with the same energy. Apply the momentum and energy operators to your function and see if it has both of these properties. Then try the function given in Martin's book.

Thanks TSny. I did both of those and it seems that BR Martin was correct! My energy comes out negative and his positive. The solutions agree on application of the momentum operator though. This means that I have misunderstood something entirely then. I am not sure what though.

The key point is that just replacing t by -t in a wavefunction does not yield the wavefunction that would describe the "time-reversed" state. For spinless particles, you get the time-reversed state by replacing t by -t and also taking the complex conjugate of the wavefunction. You can check this for Martin's example. For particles with spin, it's more complicated.

If you inspect the Schrodinger equation, you can see that if ψ(r, t) satisfies the equation, then ψ(r, -t) does not satisfy the equation, whereas ψ*(r,-t) does. (This assumes a Hamiltonian which is invariant under time reversal.)

In general, a time reversal operator in quantum mechanics is not a linear operator, but an "antilinear" operator. This is discussed in some of the standard texts.

Hello!

It seems like you have correctly applied time reversal to the free particle wavefunction. Flipping the sign of p and t in the exponent should give you the correct result of Exp[-i(p.r-Et)/\hbar]. However, I am not familiar with the specific text you mentioned, so it is possible that there may be a different convention or notation being used. It is always a good idea to double check with multiple sources when working with complex mathematical equations.

Related to Applying time reversal to the free particle wavefunction

What is time reversal?

Time reversal is a theoretical concept in physics that suggests the laws of physics remain unchanged when time is reversed. This means that if we were to reverse the direction of time, all physical processes would still occur in the same way.

How does time reversal apply to the free particle wavefunction?

In the context of quantum mechanics, time reversal can be applied to the wavefunction of a free particle. This means that the wavefunction will evolve in the opposite direction when time is reversed, but the probability distribution of the particle's position and momentum will remain the same.

Why is time reversal important in quantum mechanics?

Time reversal is important in quantum mechanics because it allows us to better understand the behavior of particles at the microscopic level. It also helps us to predict the outcomes of experiments and make accurate calculations.

What are some real-world applications of time reversal in quantum mechanics?

Time reversal in quantum mechanics has been used in various applications, such as in quantum computing and quantum cryptography. It has also been used to study the behavior of particles in complex systems, such as in the study of superconductors and the behavior of atoms in optical lattices.

Are there any limitations to applying time reversal to the free particle wavefunction?

While time reversal is a useful concept in quantum mechanics, it is important to note that it is a theoretical concept and cannot be directly observed in experiments. Additionally, time reversal symmetry may not hold in certain situations, such as in the presence of strong magnetic fields or in systems that violate the principle of detailed balance.