Applying the Kutzbach Gruebler criterion to a pantograph

• Thread starter amrbekhit
  • Start date
In summary: It sounds like you're not understanding how ternary and quaternary joints work. A ternary joint is where 3 links are constrained, while a quaternary joint is where 4 links are constrained. On the mechanism you linked to, there are 2 ternary joints (connecting links 2, 4, and 5) and 1 quaternary joint (connecting links 3, 5, and 6). So, in summary, theDOFs of a mechanism is a sum of the DOFs of all the moving links minus the sum of the all the DOFs constrained by the joints. For a planar four bar linkage with one link grounded, there are 3 moving links (so total DOFs = 3 links * 3 DO
amrbekhit
Hello all,

I'm having trouble understanding how to apply the Kutzbach Gruebler equation to all but the simplest of mechanisms.

As I understand it, the DOFs of a mechanism is a sum of the DOFs of all the moving links minus the sum of the all the DOFs constrained by the joints. For a planar four bar linkage with one link grounded, there are 3 moving links (so total DOFs = 3 links * 3 DOF = 9) and 4 rotary joints (constrained DOFs = 4 joints * 2 DOF = 8). The total DOF = 9 - 8 = 1.

Now consider the pantograph mechanism shown in the attached picture. I can see that there are a total of 7 links (including the base), 6 of which are moving (total DOFs = 6 links * 3 DOF = 18). However, I can only identify 7 joints (5 rotary, 2 prismatic), which would constrain a total of 7 * 2 = 14 DOF, giving the total DOFs as 18 - 14 = 4, which I know is incorrect. According to the book I got the picture out of, there are actually 8 joints, which gives the correct answer of 2 DOF.

Likewise, I also have a problem with the mechanism on the left hand side of the following image:

http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~rapidproto/mechanisms/figures/dcacu.gif

I can see 5 moving links (15 DOF) but only 6 joints (5 rotary and 1 prismatic: 12 DOF) instead of 7, giving a total DOF = 3, whereas the correct answer (according to the site) is 1.

So, for some reason, there always seems to be an extra joint that I'm unable to identify. What am I missing?

Thanks

Amr

Attachments

• IMAG0412.jpg
    IMAG0412.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 968
Engineering news on Phys.org
It seems you're forgetting to count the joint multiple times on the mechanism that joins more than 2 links. On the pantograph, you have to count the joint that joins links 2, 4, and 5 twice. On the left hand side of the image you linked to, joint C needs to be counted twice because it joins links 2, 3, and 4. Any time N links are constrained by the same pin joint, you count that joint N-1 times.

Ah that's it, thanks. That explains what the book meant when it was describing ternary and quaternary joints.

I've attached a photo for another mechanism that is keeping me scratching my head.

As far as I can tell, this is a 1DOF mechanism, with a single linear actuator allowing the fingers to rotate together about a certain point.

I've highlighted in the image where I think the moving links are. I reckon that each pinion and adjoining link are rigidly linked, and connected to ground via a pin joint.

The list of moving links is:
  • 1 x Linear actuator/rack (dark green).
  • 2 x Pinion/inside link (blue, magenta).
  • 2 x Outside link (red, lime).
  • 2 x Finger (brown, black).

Resulting in 7 links and a total of 7 * 3 = 21 DOF.

The list of joints is:
  • 1 x prismatic joint.
  • 2 x rack/pinion joint.
  • 8 x revolute joint.

Resulting in 11 joints a total of 11 * 2 = 22 constrained DOF.

Unfortunately, this would imply that the mechanism is overconstrained, which it isn't. What am I missing?

Amr

Attachments

• parallel gripper.jpg
    parallel gripper.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 1,052

Related to Applying the Kutzbach Gruebler criterion to a pantograph

1. What is the Kutzbach Gruebler criterion?

The Kutzbach Gruebler criterion is a mathematical formula used to determine the degree of freedom or mobility of a mechanism. It helps in analyzing the number of possible independent motions that a mechanism can have.

2. How is the Kutzbach Gruebler criterion applied to a pantograph?

To apply the Kutzbach Gruebler criterion to a pantograph, we first need to identify the number of links and joints in the mechanism. Then, we use the formula N = 3*(L-1) - 2J, where N is the number of degrees of freedom, L is the number of links, and J is the number of joints. By plugging in these values, we can calculate the degree of freedom of the pantograph.

3. Why is the Kutzbach Gruebler criterion important in pantograph design?

The Kutzbach Gruebler criterion is important in pantograph design as it helps in determining the number of possible independent motions of the mechanism. This information is crucial in ensuring that the pantograph can perform the desired tasks and functions effectively.

4. Can the Kutzbach Gruebler criterion be applied to all types of pantographs?

Yes, the Kutzbach Gruebler criterion can be applied to all types of pantographs, including simple pantographs and complex pantographs with multiple links and joints. It is a universal formula that can be used for any mechanism.

5. Are there any limitations or drawbacks to using the Kutzbach Gruebler criterion?

While the Kutzbach Gruebler criterion is a useful tool in mechanism analysis, it does have some limitations. It assumes that all the joints in the mechanism are revolute and that there are no constraints present. Thus, it may not give an accurate result for mechanisms with non-revolute joints or constraints.