Applying the distributive law....

• MHB
  • Thread starter tmy942
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Law
In summary, the distributive law can be applied to equations with multiple sets of parentheses being multiplied by taking each term in the first set and multiplying it by each term in the second set. This can also be done in two steps by multiplying the first term in the first set by each term in the second set, then doing the same for the second term in the first set. After multiplying, like terms can be combined. This method can be used for the equations y = 3 ( x + 5 ) ( x - 2 ) and 3(12-7r^2)(10r-5).
tmy942
I'm a beginner and I'm trying to wrap my head around some of the basics of algebra. So I have something like this...

y = 3 ( x + 5 ) ( x - 2 )

or this...

3(12-7r^2)(10r-5)

How would I apply the distributive law to these kinds of equations? I've been trying to research this but the only thing I can find is the distributive law in it's simplest form, i.e. a(b+c) = ab + ac. I already understand that. How would I apply it in situations with multiple sets of parentheses being multiplied?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Suppose you have:

\(\displaystyle (a+b)(c+d)\)

You want to take each term in the first factor, and multiply it by each term in the second factor:

\(\displaystyle ac+ad+bc+bd\)

What I did was to begin with the first term in the first factor and multiply it by each of the terms in the second factor, and then do the same for the second term in the first factor.

You could also do it in two steps:

\(\displaystyle (a+b)(c+d)=a(c+d)+b(c+d)=ac+ad+bc+bd\)

When you are finished, you then want to combine like terms, if there are any. Can you use this method on the two examples you posted?

Related to Applying the distributive law....

What is the distributive law?

The distributive law is a mathematical property that allows us to break down multiplication or division of a number by a sum or difference of numbers into simpler calculations.

How do you apply the distributive law?

To apply the distributive law, you distribute the number being multiplied or divided to each term inside the parentheses. Then, you simplify the resulting expression.

What is the difference between the distributive law and the associative law?

The distributive law involves breaking down a multiplication or division operation, while the associative law involves changing the grouping of numbers in an addition or multiplication operation.

Why is the distributive law important?

The distributive law is important because it allows us to simplify complex mathematical expressions and make calculations easier. It is also a fundamental concept in algebra and is used in many mathematical concepts and applications.

What are some real-life applications of the distributive law?

The distributive law can be applied in various real-life situations, such as calculating discounts in a store, factoring polynomials, and solving equations in physics and engineering problems. It is also used in computer algorithms and coding.