Internet, what defines an addiction?

• Thread starter BoulderHead
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Internet
In summary, there was a conversation about a bald man named Dr. Phil who suggested to a woman spending over 20 hours per week on the internet that she should instead invest that time in her family. This led to a discussion about what defines internet addiction and whether we should spend more time in the "real" world. The conclusion was that addiction is determined by compulsive habits that negatively affect one's life, regardless of the amount of time spent on it. The conversation also touched on the idea that people often overlook other forms of addiction, such as excessive TV watching, and that as long as real life takes priority, spending time on the internet is not a problem.

If time online defines addiction, what's a good amount to stay under?

• 5 hours a week or less

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • 10 hours a week or less

Votes: 2 40.0%
  • 20 hours a week or less

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • it's too late now, I'm already addicted !!

Votes: 2 40.0%

• Total voters
BoulderHead
There is interesting man on TV with a bald head and beady eyes who goes by the name of Dr. Phil. He was telling a woman today (who spends over 20 hours per week on the internet) that she should invest these hours in her family (husband and daughter). That got me thinking about my own addiction, so I ask;

What defines an internet addiction to you, amount of time (and if so, how much time)?

Should we spend more time to brave the ‘real’ world?

...Somebody tell me Dr. Phil must have been joking!

Physics news on Phys.org
It's too late for me, folks.
You might want to get out now before it's too late for you too.

Absolutely no amount of time defines an addiction whatsoever.

The medical definition of addiction is as such:

Compulsive physiological and psychological habits that one continues to do despite the fact that this habit causes negativity in the rest of their life.

You could spend 8 hours a day (perhaps at work) using your computer. You still aren't addicted if you go home and eat dinner with your family, and have fun with kid and wife on the weekends.

Addiction to anything occurs when you can't stop doing it even when doing it is negatively effect your life.

Other remember that, properly, addiction only applies to physiological definition. It's now turned into psych as well but formerly was NOT included. However, our psyche is only electrochemical anyways so there's the opposing position.

Excellent, so as long as I remain convinced that my life is not being negatively affected, then, at least from my perspective, things might actually be ok.

Should we spend more time to brave the ‘real’ world?
...Somebody tell me Dr. Phil must have been joking!

Yep, he must have been. 'Real' world, haha. Everybody knows there is nothing outside the internet.

Firstly, Dr. Phil rocks!

And if 20 hours a week is too much... then I'm in trouble!
I suppose though it's different for me in the sense that I don't have a husband or daughter to tend to (thankfully, for the time being)- like the lady that appeared on Dr. Phil.
Seeing as though I only have to worry about myself, I don't feel that I am addicted to the net, or anything else, simply because I spend so much time doing it. It's just what I feel like doing at that moment, so I'll do it.

People will bandy about 'Internet addiction' while ignoring their useless 20-30 hours in front of the TV. As long as real life is always first, you're fine!

Well, I only spend an hour per day (thus, 7 hours per week) on the internet, because that's all I'm allowed. Every once-in-a-while, I go a little bit over, but I usually stay in that time-frame. However, I don't think that makes me any less addicted. I experience a NASTY withdrawl, when I can't get on the PFs for even one day.

Last edited:

1. What is the definition of internet addiction?

Internet addiction is a behavioral addiction characterized by excessive and compulsive use of the internet, leading to negative consequences in one's personal, social, and professional life.

2. What are the signs and symptoms of internet addiction?

Some common signs and symptoms of internet addiction include spending excessive amounts of time online, feeling restless or irritable when unable to access the internet, neglecting responsibilities and relationships, and using the internet as a way to escape negative emotions.

3. How is internet addiction diagnosed?

Internet addiction is not an officially recognized disorder by the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM-5). However, mental health professionals may use clinical interviews and questionnaires to assess an individual's usage patterns and determine if they have an addiction.

4. What are the potential consequences of internet addiction?

Internet addiction can lead to a variety of negative consequences, such as social isolation, strained relationships, financial problems, decreased productivity, and physical health issues. It can also exacerbate underlying mental health conditions, such as depression and anxiety.

5. How is internet addiction treated?

Treatment for internet addiction typically involves a combination of therapy, support groups, and lifestyle changes. Cognitive-behavioral therapy (CBT) and mindfulness-based interventions have shown to be effective in addressing addictive behaviors. In severe cases, medication may also be prescribed to manage underlying mental health conditions.