Applying Integration by Parts and Eikonal Equation to Fourier Integral Operators

In summary, to complete your homework for the exam, you should review the chapter on Fourier Integral Operators and the methods of integration by parts and differentiation to solve the two given questions.
super_al57
Hi! I have a question for you. At the end of the post there's a link. There's the homework which I have to do for an exam. I have to study the Fourier Integral Operator that there is at the begin of the paper. I did almost all the homework but I can't do a couple of things. First: at the point 1, using k-times the integration by parts, I have to prove that |eiψ/l(tL)kau|=O(<θ>m-δN).
Second: at the end I have to estimate [itex]\partial^\alpha\varphi[/itex] derivating the eikonal equation but I don't know how to begin.

http://freepdfhosting.com/08103fe65b.pdf

Physics news on Phys.org
To answer your questions, I suggest you look at the chapter on Fourier Integral Operators in your textbook and review the methods of integration by parts and deriving the eikonal equation. For the first question, you can use integration by parts to find an expression for |eiψ/l(tL)kau| that is equal to or less than O(<θ>m-δN). And for the second question, you can use the method of differentiation to find an expression for \partial^\alpha\varphi.

Related to Applying Integration by Parts and Eikonal Equation to Fourier Integral Operators

1. What is a Fourier integral operator?

A Fourier integral operator is a mathematical tool used to represent a linear transformation between two function spaces, known as the "phase space" and the "frequency space". It is based on the Fourier transform, which decomposes a function into its frequency components.

2. How is a Fourier integral operator different from a Fourier transform?

A Fourier transform only operates on functions of a single variable, while a Fourier integral operator operates on functions of multiple variables. Additionally, a Fourier integral operator includes a phase factor that accounts for the transformation between the two function spaces.

3. What are the applications of Fourier integral operators?

Fourier integral operators have a wide range of applications in mathematics, physics, and engineering. They are commonly used in signal processing, image reconstruction, quantum mechanics, and partial differential equations.

4. Can Fourier integral operators be inverted?

Yes, Fourier integral operators can be inverted using the inverse Fourier transform. However, the inverse may not exist for all functions, and the properties of the inverse depend on the specific operator being used.

5. Are there any limitations to using Fourier integral operators?

One limitation of Fourier integral operators is that they are only applicable to functions that are square integrable. Additionally, the phase space and frequency space must be compatible, meaning that the transformation must preserve certain properties such as smoothness and decay at infinity.