Applying for grad school in the US with a masters degree

In summary, the speaker is considering applying for grad school in the US, specifically in Chicago. They have a masters degree from the University of Iceland, which consists of one year of graduate level courses and one year of research/thesis work. They are wondering if they will have to start at the same level as someone who applied directly after their bachelor's degree or if their graduate level courses will be transferred. They have taken courses in classical electrodynamics, quantum field theory, quantum mechanics, and solid state physics. The speaker has a GPA of 89.3/100 and research experience, including a published article. They plan to take the physics GREs and hope to get into University of Chicago or Northwestern University. However, it is uncertain
olafurj
I am thinking about applying for grad school in the US (Chicago to be exact) and I have some questions.

First of all, some background. In 10 months I will have a masters degree from University of Iceland. A masters degree here is one year of graduate level courses (60 ECTS) and one year of research/thesis work (60 ECTS). In total it's 120 ECTS units. Before the masters degree I did a three year bachelor (180 ECTS units).

Some of my friends applied to grad school directly after their bachelor. My question is, will I have to start on the same level as if I was applying directly after my bachelor, or will I get my graduate level courses transferred?

Examples of courses I've taken are:

Classical electrodynamics at the level of Jackson's book
Quantum field theory at the level of Peskin's and Schroeder's book
Quantum mechanics (third QM course in my studies) at the level of Sakurai's book.
Various solid state physics courses (electron transport, semiconductor devices)

Thanks in advance.

Edit: I should add that my GPA is 89.3/100 (or 3.6/4.0). My research experience consists of two summers and the next academic year(2011-2012). I have one published article and will have a couple more before making my application. I have been a teaching assistant. I'll take the physics GRE's next fall (I'm fairly good at those standardized tests so I expect to get 800-900). Will this get me into University of Chicago or Northwestern University?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You should expect to have to retake the classes. You might get them waived, but an entirely natural reaction to "But I already took this class" is "Yes, but not from us."

We can't tell if you will get in or not.

Related to Applying for grad school in the US with a masters degree

What is the process for applying to grad school in the US with a masters degree?

The process for applying to grad school in the US with a masters degree is similar to applying for a masters program. You will need to research and select the programs you are interested in, gather all necessary documents (transcripts, letters of recommendation, test scores, etc.), and complete the application forms. Some programs may also require a statement of purpose or essay. It is important to carefully follow the application instructions for each program.

Do I need to take the GRE or other standardized tests if I already have a masters degree?

It depends on the program you are applying to. Some programs may require the GRE or other standardized tests regardless of whether you have a masters degree or not. However, many programs may waive this requirement if you already have a masters degree. It is important to check the specific requirements for each program.

Can I transfer credits from my masters degree towards a PhD program?

It is possible to transfer credits from your masters degree towards a PhD program, but this varies depending on the program and university. You will need to check with the specific program you are interested in to see if they accept transfer credits and what their requirements for transfer are.

Is it necessary to have work experience before applying to grad school with a masters degree?

No, work experience is not always necessary. Some programs may prefer applicants with work experience, but it is not a requirement for all programs. It is important to research the specific requirements for the programs you are interested in.

What are some important factors to consider when choosing a grad school in the US with a masters degree?

Some important factors to consider when choosing a grad school in the US with a masters degree include the program's reputation, faculty and resources, research opportunities, location and cost. It is also important to consider if the program aligns with your academic and career goals. It is recommended to research and compare multiple programs before making a decision.