Applying Dimensional Analysis to correct the equation

In summary: Also, you should write it as [T]1/2.In summary, the conversation discussed checking the dimensional correctness of an equation involving the frequency of vibration of a pendulum. The equation provided was f = L/2π √(g/L), and the task was to determine if it was dimensionally correct. After some initial confusion about the physical quantity for f, the steps were taken to rewrite the equation and it was determined that it is not dimensionally correct due to the presence of an extra [T] term.
Byeongok

Homework Statement

Check if the equation is dimensionally correct
The frequency f of vibration of a pendulum of length L is given by the equation:

f = L/2π √(g/L)

I'm assuming 'g' is the gravitation field strength (?), which is [L]1[T]-2

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I did not know what the physical quantity was for f, so i looked up and it was [T]-1
so i did:

[T]-1 = [L] x √([L]1[T]-2/[L])
simply
[T]-1 = [L] x √([T]-2)From here I'm stuck on what to do with that square-root.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Byeongok said:

Homework Statement

The frequency f of vibration of a pendulum of length L is given by the equation:

f = L/2π √(g/L)

I'm assuming 'g' is the gravitation field strength (?), which is [L]1[T]-2

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I did not know what the physical quantity was for f, so i looked up and it was [T]-1
so i did:

[T]-1 = [L] x √[L]1[T]-2/[L]From here I'm stuck on what to do with that square-root.
I assume the equation to check is ##f=\frac{L}{2\pi}\sqrt{\frac{g}{L}}##.

EDIT: please write the complete question in part 1 of the template next time. For the rest, see haruspex post.

Last edited:
You have not stated what you are tasked with. Is the idea to check the given equation is dimensionally correct? Was the equation provided as part of the problem statement? You might want to check you have copied it out correctly.
With regard to how to proceed from your last equation above, be careful about the scope of the square root sign. The way you have written it it only appears to apply to the leading [L].
There is some cancellation you can do inside the square root.

haruspex said:
You have not stated what you are tasked with. Is the idea to check the given equation is dimensionally correct? Was the equation provided as part of the problem statement? You might want to check you have copied it out correctly.
With regard to how to proceed from your last equation above, be careful about the scope of the square root sign. The way you have written it it only appears to apply to the leading [L].
There is some cancellation you can do inside the square root.

Thanks, I've edited the question in. It was to dimensionally see if the equation was correct
I've followed your advice and ended up at
[T]-1 = [L] x √([T]-2)
Could you please help me from here?

Thanks!

Byeongok said:
Thanks, I've edited the question in. It was to dimensionally see if the equation was correct
I've followed your advice and ended up at
[T]-1 = [L] x √([T]-2)
Could you please help me from here?

Thanks!
You might find it obvious if you write T-2 as 1/T2

haruspex said:
You might find it obvious if you write T-2 as 1/T2

Thanks for the reply!

So I've gone ahead where you left me from,
[T]-1 = [L] x √([T]-2)
[T]-1 = [L] x √(1/[T]2)
[T]-1 = [L] x 1/√T2
Rationalized it
[T]-1 = [L] x [T]2

Does that mean the equation at the start is not dimensionally correct?

Byeongok said:
[T]-1 = [L] x 1/√T2
Rationalized it
[T]-1 = [L] x [T]2
you were doing well until that last step. What happened to the square root?

haruspex said:
you were doing well until that last step. What happened to the square root?

Oh oops!

is it
[T]-1 = [L] x √(1/[T]2)
[T]-1 = [L]/√T2

Therefore it not dimensionally correct?

Last edited:
Byeongok said:
Oh oops!

is it
[T]-1 = [L] x √(1/[T]2)
[T]-1 = [L]/√T2

Therefore it not dimensionally correct?
Correct, but you should simply the √T2.

Related to Applying Dimensional Analysis to correct the equation

What is dimensional analysis and how does it correct equations?

Dimensional analysis is a method used in science to ensure that equations are mathematically correct and have the proper units. It involves breaking down a problem into its basic physical dimensions and then rearranging the equation to match those dimensions.

How does dimensional analysis help to prevent errors in scientific calculations?

Dimensional analysis helps to prevent errors by ensuring that the units in an equation are consistent and match the physical dimensions of the problem. This helps to catch any mistakes in the equation and prevents incorrect calculations.

What are the basic steps of dimensional analysis?

The basic steps of dimensional analysis are: identify the physical dimensions involved in the problem, list the units associated with each dimension, determine the relationship between the dimensions and units, and use conversion factors to rearrange the equation with the correct units.

Can dimensional analysis be used for any type of equation?

Yes, dimensional analysis can be used for any type of equation as long as the equation involves physical quantities with defined units. It is a versatile method that can be applied to various fields of science such as physics, chemistry, and biology.

What are the benefits of using dimensional analysis in scientific calculations?

The benefits of using dimensional analysis include increased accuracy and precision in calculations, easier identification of errors, and the ability to convert between different units. It also helps to ensure that equations are consistent with the laws of physics and can be applied to a wide range of problems.