Applying conservation of momentum to find recoil of the Earth

In summary, the momentum of the ball before hitting the wall is 7.04 kg.m/s and the momentum of the Earth after the collision is 14.08 kg.m/s. This leads to a recoil speed of the Earth of 2.35e-24 m/s.
cherry_cat

Homework Statement

We can use our results for head-on elastic collisions to analyze the recoil of the Earth when a ball bounces off a wall embedded in the Earth. Suppose a professional baseball pitcher hurls a baseball (m = 160 grams) with a speed (v1 = 44 m/s) at a wall, and the ball bounces back with little loss of kinetic energy. What is the recoil speed of the Earth (M = 6e24 kg)?

Homework Equations

v=sqrt(2gh)
p=mv
p(total)=m1v1+m2v2
v=p/m

The Attempt at a Solution

M(Earth)=6e24 kg
M(Ball)=0.16 kg

P(Ball) = 0.16*44 kg m/s = 7.04 kg.m/s
The momentum must be the same before and after the collision. Therefore, the momentum provided to the Earth when the ball hits is 6.82 kg.m/s

v(Earth) = P(total)/M(Earth+ball)
v(Earth)=7.04/ 6e24
v(Earth)=1.173e-24

I was sure all my working was correct, but the answer is wrong. Is there anything I have missed?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
My immediate thought was that the ball is bouncing off a wall some distance from the center of mass of the Earth ... so you are really interested in conservation of angular momentum.

However - looking at your relations, why did you add the mass of the ball to the mass of the Earth?

The way to do these problems is to sketch the "before" and "after" situations - so you know what you are describing. Then, write out the momentum calculations separately. Then put before=after.

From what you've done, your "before" should be a stationary Earth and a moving ball.
What would the "after" be?

cherry_cat said:
P(Ball) = 0.16*44 kg m/s = 7.04 kg.m/s
The momentum must be the same before and after the collision.
It isn't the same - the ball is going the other way.
Therefore, the momentum provided to the Earth when the ball hits is 6.82 kg.m/s
I have no idea where you get that number from.

The before section would be m1v1 = 0.16*44 = 7.04 kg.m/s as the ball is traveling towards the wall

After the ball hits the wall, it would have negative momentum but assuming no loss in kinetic energy, wouldn't it have a negative momentum of 7.04 kg.m/s and the Earth would have two times the momentum that the ball originally has. or -m1v1+2m1v1

cherry_cat said:
The before section would be m1v1 = 0.16*44 = 7.04 kg.m/s as the ball is traveling towards the wall

After the ball hits the wall, it would have negative momentum but assuming no loss in kinetic energy, wouldn't it have a negative momentum of 7.04 kg.m/s and the Earth would have two times the momentum that the ball originally has. or -m1v1+2m1v1
Yes, but that would be 14.08 kg.m/s, not 6.82.

Yes the momentum would have to be constant before and after the collision, so it would be 7.04 kg.m/s, meaning 2*p would be 14.08 kg.m/s

Which means you could set the after section, of m1v1+m2v2=7.04
And because the ball lost no energy, it would be -7.04+m2v2=7.04
So m2v2=14.08
v2=14.08/6e24
v2=2.35e-24

Is that logical?

haruspex said:
Yes, but that would be 14.08 kg.m/s, not 6.82.

That's true. I must have made a foolish mistake somewhere. Thanks for pointing it out, I'm new to physics and sometimes I make mistakes and don't notice. I will try to be more careful.

Related to Applying conservation of momentum to find recoil of the Earth

1. What is conservation of momentum?

The conservation of momentum is a fundamental principle in physics that states that the total momentum of a closed system remains constant, regardless of any external forces acting on it. This means that the initial momentum of a system before a collision or interaction will be equal to the total momentum after the collision or interaction.

2. How is conservation of momentum applied to find the recoil of the Earth?

The conservation of momentum can be applied to find the recoil of the Earth by considering the Earth as a closed system and analyzing the momentum of all the objects and forces acting on it. This includes the momentum of the Earth itself, as well as any external forces such as gravity or other celestial bodies.

3. Why is it important to find the recoil of the Earth?

Finding the recoil of the Earth is important for understanding the effects of various interactions and collisions on the Earth's motion and orbit. It can also provide valuable information for predicting and mitigating potential impacts from external forces, such as asteroid collisions.

4. How is the recoil of the Earth calculated?

The recoil of the Earth can be calculated using the principle of conservation of momentum. This involves analyzing the initial and final momentum of the Earth and any other objects or forces involved in the interaction, and using the equation: initial momentum = final momentum.

5. Are there any limitations to using conservation of momentum to find the recoil of the Earth?

While the conservation of momentum is a fundamental principle in physics, there may be limitations to using it to find the recoil of the Earth. These limitations may include factors such as uncertainties in the initial and final momentum values, as well as other external forces acting on the Earth that may not be accounted for in the analysis.