Applying Conservation of Momentum along the Y axis

In summary, when solving for the velocity of a block sliding down a wedge with frictionless surfaces, we can apply the concepts of relative velocity, conservation of mechanical energy, and conservation of linear momentum. While conservation of momentum can be applied in the y-direction if the system includes the Earth, it is more useful to apply it in the horizontal direction since there is no external force acting in that direction. The Earth's movement can be ignored when considering energy, but not when considering momentum, as it has a very small influence on the system.
Better WOrld

Homework Statement

A block of mass ##m## slides down a wedge of mass ##M## and inclination ##\theta## whose surfaces are all frictionless. Find the velocity of the block when it just reaches the bottom of the wedge.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I was told that to solve this problem, we have to apply the concepts of Relative Velocity (between the block and the wedge), Conservation of Mechanical Energy, and Conservation of Linear Momentum. However, I've got a few doubts regarding the conservation of Linear Momentum.

I know that we can conserve Linear Momentum in any direction as long as the net external force is ##0## in that direction. Now, the given method states that for the system ##Earth+Block+Wedge## I can conserve Linear Momentum in the ##X## direction ONLY. However, I fail to understand why we cannot conserve Linear Momentum in the ##Y## direction too. As per the FBD's I've made, the forces acting on the Wedge are the Normal force ##N_1## due to the Earth, and the Normal force ##N_2## due to the block. Also, the forces acting on the block are ##N_2## due to the wedge. The reaction force acting on the Earth is ##N_3## due to the wedge.

Thus, the forces operating on the system ##Earth+Wedge+Block## are Internal Forces. Hence the Net External Force is ##0##.

Thus, can't we apply Conservation of Linear Momentum in the ##Y## direction too? If so, could somebody kindly show me how to? Many thanks in advance!

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    1.6 KB · Views: 494
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You can indeed apply conservation of momentum in the Y direction if your system includes the Earth. But you will not find that useful. What is useful is that there is no X direction force from the Earth, so you can apply horizontal momentum conservation to the wedge+block system.

haruspex said:
You can indeed apply conservation of momentum in the Y direction if your system includes the Earth. But you will not find that useful. What is useful is that there is no X direction force from the Earth, so you can apply horizontal momentum conservation to the wedge+block system.

Thanks for responding Sir. Sir, I can't understand how to apply it though (ie I can't form the equations properly).

Sir, the initial Momentum in the horizontal direction is ##0##. Thus the Initial Momentum along the Y axis is $$(M_{earth}\times 0)+(M\times 0)+(m\times 0)$$ However, for the final momentum along the Y axis, I get $$(M_{earth}\times 0)+(M\times 0)+(m\times -v\hat{i})$$ which is clearly not equal to initial Momentum. I made the assumption that the Earth has no velocity either initially or finally since till date I've always been taught (perhaps incorrectly) that we assume the Earth to be at absolute rest.

In any case, when the block ##just ## ##reaches## the bottom of the earth, I assumed that the block had not yet collided with the earth. Hence, I fail to see what could impart any velocity to the Earth.

Could you please correct my mistake Sir?Lastly, could you please explain how to apply the Conservation of Mechanical Energy assuming the System is ##Wedge+Block +Earth##?

The equation I get (assuming the Earth does not move) is as follows:

$$\large{PE_{earth}+mgH+Mg\dfrac{h}{3}=\dfrac{1}{2}MV_W^2+\dfrac{1}{2}mv_{block,earth}^2+PE_{earth}}$$ where U=0 at the Earth's surface.

Last edited:
The Earth will move in the Y direction, but by an extremely small amount. Just as the Earth attracts the block, the block attracts the Earth (with the same force). You can ignore the Earth's movement in regards to energy, but not in regards to momentum.

haruspex said:
The Earth will move in the Y direction, but by an extremely small amount. Just as the Earth attracts the block, the block attracts the Earth (with the same force). You can ignore the Earth's movement in regards to energy, but not in regards to momentum.

But Sir, why do we disregard Earth's velocity with respect to Energy? I couldn't understand Sir.

Better WOrld said:
But Sir, why do we disregard Earth's velocity with respect to Energy? I couldn't understand Sir.
The two atractions are equal (law of action and reaction). So the accelerations are in inverse ratio of the masses. If we take the Earth to be some huge number N multiple of the block's mass then the Earth's acceleration is 1/N times the block's acceleration. As a result, at any point in the descent of the block, the Earth's 'upward' velocity is 1/N times the block's downward velocity. That makes the two momenta equal and opposite, resolving the difficulty you had with conservation of momentum.
But when we look at energy, that goes as mv2, so the Earth's KE is only 1/N times the block's KE. That makes it a tiny amount of energy, and we can safely ignore it.

Related to Applying Conservation of Momentum along the Y axis

1. What is conservation of momentum along the Y axis?

Conservation of momentum along the Y axis is a fundamental principle in physics that states that the total momentum in the Y direction of a closed system remains constant. This means that the total amount of force exerted in the Y direction must equal the total amount of force exerted in the opposite direction, in order to maintain the constant momentum.

2. How is conservation of momentum along the Y axis applied in real life?

Conservation of momentum along the Y axis can be applied in various real-life scenarios, such as in collisions between objects, rocket launches, and even in sports like billiards. It helps us understand and predict the motion of objects and the forces involved.

3. What is the difference between conservation of momentum along the X axis and Y axis?

Conservation of momentum along the X and Y axis are both based on the principle of the total momentum of a closed system remaining constant. However, conservation of momentum along the X axis only considers motion in the horizontal direction, while conservation of momentum along the Y axis considers motion in the vertical direction.

4. How do you calculate the total momentum along the Y axis?

To calculate the total momentum along the Y axis, you must first determine the mass and velocity of each object in the system. Then, multiply the mass of each object by its velocity in the Y direction and add all the values together. This will give you the total momentum in the Y direction.

5. What happens if momentum is not conserved along the Y axis?

If momentum is not conserved along the Y axis, it means that there is an external force acting on the system in the Y direction. This could result in a change in the velocity or direction of the objects involved. It is important to consider conservation of momentum along both the X and Y axis in order to accurately predict and analyze the motion of objects.