Physics 101 lab help should be easy

In summary, Charla is a student in her third week of physics 101 and had trouble with a lab involving projectile motion. She set up the problem using equations for x and y positions, but her answer was different from her lab partners'. She asked for help and was given equations for projectile motion and a helpful website to use. She plans to continue working on the problem.
dirtbird
Okay, I'm not sure how I'm going to do this, but let's try. it is my third week of physics 101, and everything makes perfect sense, or so i thought. Our second lab, we used a ball shooter, and we shot one ball from a table onto the floor, one ball straight into the air, and one ball at a 10 degree angle. Guess which one I'm having problems with!
anyway, we shot the ball from a 10 cm height, at 10degrees, and the ball landed 199 cm away from the point of origin. So i set the problem up like this:
Yfinal= -.1 m
Yinitial= 0 m
Vyinitial= unknown
Vyfinal= unknown
A=-9.8m/s sq
T= unknown

Xfinal= 1.99 m
Xinitial= 0 m
Vx= unknown
A= 0 m/s sq
T= unknown

I have tried to explain how i tried to solve this with text, but i think i am not advanced enough to do that! essentially, i did some messy stuff with sin and cos, and came out with an initial velocity of 7.44 m/s. this is way off from the 5.75 i got for the first two experiments, and my lab partners got 2 completely different answers. I was wondering if it would be possible for someone to try to help me set up the problem. I can post what i did before if i need to, but it is proving very difficult! Thanks for any help
charla

Physics news on Phys.org
I may not be the best person to help you. I just started to learn physics on my own, over summer break.
Here goes nothing:
I think you use the basic equation for projectile motion. (ignoring air resistance)
x = v*cos(10)*t
y=v*sin(10)*t – (1/2)*g*t^2

v is the initial velocity and g is acceleration due to gravity (g=9.8 m/s^2)

setting x = 1.99m and solving for t we get the time of impact

t= 1.99/( v*cos(10))
setting y = -.10 m in the second equation and substituting for t:
-.10 = v*sin(10)*(1.99/( v*cos10))– (1/2)*g*(1.99/( v*cos10))^2
.10 + tan(10)*1.99 = (1/2)*g*(1.99/( v*cos10))^2
v^2=[(1/2)*g*(1.99/( v*cos10))^2] / [.10 + tan(10)*1.99]
v=6.66 m/s

Hope this helps you.

Someone should check my work I may have made some careless mistake.

I see that Suicidal inserted numbers into the relations before he did the algebra. In case that is not clear to you, let me do it without doing the substitutions so you can see why the relation is as it is.

You have:

(1)...x(t)-x0=v0cos(θ)t
(2)...y(t)-y0=v0sin(θ)t-(1/2)gt2

Now, you didn't measure the time, but that's OK because we can eliminate the time to get y as a function of x.

From eq. (1):

t=(x-x0)/(v0cos(θ))

Insert that into (2) to get:

y-y0=v0sin(θ)(x-x0)/(v0cos(θ))-(1/2)g((x-x0)/(v0cos(θ))2

Since you used x0=y0=0m, we can drop those. Doing a little simplification yields:

y(x)=(v0tan(θ))x-(g/(2cos(θ)))x2

which is a downward-opening parabola, as expected. That equation should also be in your book.

Here's a nifty site called HyperPhysics for more:

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/traj.html#tra2

Awesome, thanks a lot you guys! What i did it turns out was right, but it was much more complicated than what you guys did, so i think i made a math mistake somewhere in it. My professor said she would give me full credit for what i did, but i am personally not satisfied. . I'm going to work on it some more with the formulas you guys gave me, and i'll bookmark that awesome website, so hopefully i won't have to ask any more lame questions :P. Thanks again!
charla

1. What is the purpose of a Physics 101 lab?

The purpose of a Physics 101 lab is to help students apply the concepts and theories they learn in lectures to real-world experiments. This hands-on experience allows students to develop a deeper understanding of the principles of physics and improve their critical thinking and problem-solving skills.

2. How can a physics lab be helpful for understanding difficult concepts?

A physics lab can be helpful for understanding difficult concepts by providing students with a visual and tangible way to grasp abstract theories. By conducting experiments and analyzing data, students can see the principles of physics in action and better understand how they apply to the world around them.

3. What are some common challenges students face in a Physics 101 lab?

Some common challenges students face in a Physics 101 lab include understanding the instructions and procedures, troubleshooting equipment or experimental errors, and accurately recording and analyzing data. It is important for students to ask questions and seek help from their lab instructors when facing these challenges.

4. How can I prepare for a Physics 101 lab?

To prepare for a Physics 101 lab, it is important to review the concepts and theories that will be covered in the experiment. Familiarize yourself with the lab equipment and procedures beforehand, and make sure to dress appropriately for safety. It is also helpful to come to the lab with a curious and open mindset.

5. What are some safety precautions to keep in mind during a Physics 101 lab?

Some safety precautions to keep in mind during a Physics 101 lab include wearing appropriate protective gear, following the instructions and procedures carefully, and handling equipment and chemicals with caution. It is also important to notify the lab instructor of any potential hazards or accidents that may occur during the experiment.