I Got My First Job - Celebrating My First Paycheck

• Thread starter Gale
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Job
In summary: Congratulations on your first job! I remember when I got my first job, it was at a grocery store. I was so excited to have a job and make some money.
Gale
I just thought i'd share that I've got my first job ever! yeah yeah, i know i should have had one years ago, but i never needed one. my parents pay for everything. So now i do dishes at this local inn, and i just got my first paycheck, $120! wooo... actually i don't even know how much money that really is. i don't know how i'll even spend it. I never really spend money, and when i do, i never pay attention. But yeah... wooooo I'm a workin' gal!

Physics news on Phys.org
Originally posted by Gale17
I just thought i'd share that I've got my first job ever! yeah yeah, i know i should have had one years ago, but i never needed one. my parents pay for everything. So now i do dishes at this local inn, and i just got my first paycheck, $120! wooo... actually i don't even know how much money that really is. i don't know how i'll even spend it. I never really spend money, and when i do, i never pay attention. But yeah... wooooo I'm a workin' gal!
Congratulations! mmm... I try to recall - when I've got my first job... it was a long time ago... I was only eleven years old... the assistant of the geodesist.

Congratulations!

$120... that's about enough to keep you fed for one to two weeks, depending on how often you eat out. Or a weeks worth of rent in a shared house. Or halfway to that new leather biker jacket you've been eyeing. Or a chemistry textbook. Or 1/20th to 1/50th of a semester tuition at a state school. Or...

120 bucks? It's all in how well you budget. On one hand you could eat for a month on that if you stretched it. On the other hand I haven't paid my cell phone bill yet:wink:

I remember my first check(not counting my paper route when I was 12). it was 80 bucks- a fortune at the time. that was when minimum wage was 4.25 an hour-back back in the ancient, mythical days of yore, where kings and queens ruled the fair land-in other words the 80's.

I think I saved my money and bought a stereo. My how things have changed!(or have they? But if you want to buy a car, you can get a cheap one for about 10 grand- start saving now

Congratulations! I remember I got my first job when I was 15, that's to tutor a 13 years old student maths. I stopped tutoring this student when I was 16 to prepare for public exams and started tutoring her again last year. I was also a private tutor of a 10 year old kid last year for 2 months. I nearly failed in a few tests in school last year because I didn't have enough time for studying due to the tution jobs! I didn't even have time to do homework!

If I have $120, I'll use it to buy books (An A-level biology textbook, Introduction to Elementary Number Theory and Graph Theory), or subscribe to scientific american and discover. Of course, I'll buy one or two CD's.

If I have more money, I'll buy a digital camera (at least 5 million pixels, has good zoom in and out functions and other cool functions), upgrade my computer and buy a pair of high quality binoculars. I'll find jobs after my public exams in April next year and will save up for buying all these.

Congratulations

"So now i do dishes at this local inn'

Uhmm, don't we have dishwashers to do this?

Gale17, have you been keeping information from us? Are you really a dishwasher?

First job? Repairing crash-damaged cars in my dads garage, and that for a girly girl at 14 :)

My first job was selling TV Guide over the phone, about 23 years ago. I lasted 2 days. I completely lost heart after selling a 99 year old man a 5 year subscription.

Njorl

Originally posted by Njorl
My first job was selling TV Guide over the phone, about 23 years ago. I lasted 2 days. I completely lost heart after selling a 99 year old man a 5 year subscription.

Njorl

I hate telemarketers. Good thing I am on that national do-not-call list.

Originally posted by dduardo
I hate telemarketers. Good thing I am on that national do-not-call list.
Is that thing finally working than? What I heard, couple of months ago, that people were putting their name on the list and the number of calls trippled :P

Congrats,btw,I work in a pizzeria and also wash dishes sometimes, apart of my habitual task that is deliver pizzas :smile:

first job, hired at the city library shelving books for 15 hours a week at $3.65 an hour...i had more play money then then i do now...

Yeah congratulations...my first job was a clerical assistant in a hospital when i was 16. I helped my mum and other secretaries do all the filing and photocopying and monkey work (eg lifting boxes). Not a very glamourous job, but i got paid ok £4 an hour which is around $6 an hour i think so that is cool. But that wasnt contracted, that was when they needed me i went in

"So now i do dishes at this local inn'

Uhmm, don't we have dishwashers to do this?

Someones still gata load/unload/inspect the dishes, keep track of dish inflow/outflow to ensure an adaquate supply of dishes at all times, and maintain the dishwashing units. On top of all that, you've still got the silverware to deal with! Actually sounds like a very demanding position. Definitely worthy of the $120 salary.

Id say it's a keeper... until the time you want something a bit more stimulating, like my job:
promotional piece regulatory officer

Originally posted by Gale17
I just thought i'd share that I've got my first job ever!
Good for you, Gale.
My first involved chopping bush with a machette. I received one or two second-quality boards from a saw mill operation (more bark than board) per week, depending on how much I got done.

Just board? Not room and board? :wink:

Njorl

oh well, I've babysat and tutored too, but this is my first pasycheck and taxes job. so yeah, I'm awesome. heh, i didn't realize i'd get so many replies to this thread... rather amusing seeing all yall reminiscing bout your old jobs.

My first job was working construction. Working construction blows. Currently I am unemployed but looking - most jobs at my college were filled before I even got here.

Wow, I've never had a "real" job. Not for lack of looking, I've just never been hired. (I've been to more interviews than I can count)

I feel so..spoiled now, or something.

Gale,

Same here. My first job was washing dishes part time at a restaurant in Plymouth, N.H. I was 14, it was summer, I was rich.

My first job was back in the '70's as a pinsetter for a bowling alley that didn't have the automatic pin machines. You haven't lived until you tried to avoid 250-300 pd drunk guys lobbing bowling balls at you as hard as they can while you are stooped over trying to set-up pins. Then I get fired for lobbing balls back out at them. Oh well.

Oy!, my first real job was at Burger King; Because i was quite small at the time(5'8'' 125 lbs.), They would send me up into the tube playground thing where children reported that they had seen other children's feces... Luckily all of the reports were unfounded, but the fact that I had to crawl on my hands and knees in hot, smelly, enclosed playground equipment was detestable enough...

mmmm, good old days...

Originally posted by Mattius_
mmmm, good old days...
LOL, that reminds me of my good old days, when I used to go around putting childen's feces in those tube playgrounds at fast-food restaurants.

- Warren

LOL, that reminds me of my good old days, when I used to go around putting childen's feces in those tube playgrounds at fast-food restaurants.

Doh!

Way to go Gale. It fells good, doesn't it. I quess I was around eight years old when I made my first buck. My best friend and I got a lawn mower and grass clippers and went door to door asking for work. Finally, this wonderful old lady took pity on us. After about 15 minutes of work (lawn was small and really didn't need cutting) she gave us each a dollar and a coke. This is twice as much as we asked for. Every now and then I think about her; remembering the nice thing she did.

1. What should I do with my first paycheck?

It's important to budget and plan for your first paycheck to make the most of it. Consider setting aside a portion for savings, paying off any debts, and using the rest for expenses and treats.

2. How do I negotiate my salary for my first job?

Research the market rate for your position and experience level to have an idea of what you should be paid. Consider negotiating for a higher salary or benefits, but be prepared to compromise.

3. Should I save or invest my first paycheck?

It's always a good idea to save a portion of your paycheck for emergencies and future expenses. If you have excess funds, consider investing in a low-risk option such as a savings account or mutual fund.

4. What are some common mistakes people make with their first paycheck?

Some common mistakes include overspending, not budgeting or saving, and not understanding taxes and deductions. It's important to be responsible and plan ahead with your first paycheck.

5. How can I make the most of my first job and paycheck?

Take advantage of any opportunities for growth and learning in your first job, and use your paycheck responsibly to set yourself up for financial stability in the future. Also, don't forget to celebrate your hard work and success!