Applied Mathematics or Computer Science?

In summary, I am wondering if applied mathematics would be beneficial to me in my physics studies and if computer science would be a good program to pursue if I want to pursue a career in mathematics or physics.
Kumo
Hi Everybody,

I am in my final year of high school, and want to enrol with the University of the Witwatersrand in Johannesburg, South Africa next year, and I will hopefully be going for a Bsc in computer science, math and physics. However, I have been wondering a couple of things over the past few months, and the answers I have yet to find.

My first and main question is whether or not applied mathematics will help me a great deal in my physics studies, and a career path in either physics or mathematics, as I have been torn on whether or not a should rather take applied mathematics in place of computer science. The second major question that I have is whether or not computer science would aid me in a similar manner, and possibly open up channels that wouldn’t be available otherwise. I know that to some extent computational skills are gaining ground when it comes to physics and the study thereof, but I am unaware of the extent to which this is occurring.

There is also the question of whether or not it would be worth it to take computer science without applied mathematics, and how I would fare without it.

If someone could help shed some light on these questions it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you very much for your time.

Physics news on Phys.org
It might help to clarify something here - are you talking about triple majoring in physics, computer science, and mathematics or are you talking about the set of first year courses that you would be taking in a physics major?

Choppy said:
It might help to clarify something here - are you talking about triple majoring in physics, computer science, and mathematics or are you talking about the set of first year courses that you would be taking in a physics major?

Triple majoring hopefully.

Related to Applied Mathematics or Computer Science?

1. What is the difference between Applied Mathematics and Computer Science?

Applied Mathematics focuses on using mathematical theories and techniques to solve real-world problems, while Computer Science focuses on the design and development of computer systems and software. However, there is overlap between the two fields, as Applied Mathematics can be used in the development of algorithms and models in Computer Science.

2. What kind of career opportunities are available for those with a degree in Applied Mathematics or Computer Science?

Graduates with degrees in Applied Mathematics or Computer Science have a wide range of career opportunities in fields such as data analysis, software development, financial analysis, and research. They can work in industries such as technology, finance, healthcare, and government.

3. Do I need to have strong math skills to pursue a degree in Applied Mathematics or Computer Science?

While a strong foundation in math is beneficial for these fields, it is not necessary to have advanced math skills. Many programs offer courses that teach the necessary math skills for specific applications in Applied Mathematics and Computer Science.

4. What kind of courses can I expect to take in a degree program for Applied Mathematics or Computer Science?

In an Applied Mathematics program, you can expect to take courses in calculus, linear algebra, differential equations, and statistics. In a Computer Science program, you can expect to take courses in programming, data structures, algorithms, and software design.

5. How are Applied Mathematics and Computer Science used in the real world?

Applied Mathematics is used in a wide range of fields, such as engineering, finance, and biology, to solve real-world problems using mathematical models and techniques. Computer Science is used in the development of software, computer systems, and technologies that are used in various industries, from healthcare to transportation.