Applied Mathematics major looking for internship (needs help?)

In summary, if you are interested in an engineering internship, you should research similar internships to see if they fit your qualifications. If you are not sure if you should apply, you should research the pros and cons before making a decision.
Edelman
I am currently seeking for any open internships. So, I decided to Google search what I could find in my area, and I found an engineering internship. Would this apply to me (I'll tell you more...)?

Here is the description of the engineering internship (it's very vague):

Develop hardware and software to implement automated bench tests for new and updated versions of various Application Specific Integrated Circuits.

I have not took a course in Computer Science but I feel that I would be able to learn a few languages. Would an intern be working with a team? I'm not sure if I can alone develop hardware and software, but I would like to think they would train me on a few things before throwing me in the labs blind folded.

I have taken a bunch of mathematics course like Differential Equations, Real Analysis, Calc (I,II, and III), and a few statistics courses. BUT, I have not done any engineering courses.

I'm not sure if I should apply for this internship or not, but it would be nice to get some experience under my belt since I am going into my third year of my university. Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
To the OP:

I don't see any harm in your applying for this internship, although it is possible that you could be at a disadvantage when competing against engineering majors who are also seeking an internship, given that you have not taken any engineering courses, nor have taken any computer science courses.

(I'm surprised to read that you are entering your third year of university and haven't taken a computer science course, given that you are an applied math major -- computer science courses, at the very least at the first yer level, are usually a prerequisite for most applied math programs I'm aware of)

As for your other question, more than likely you would be working as part of a team (at least from my experience working with interns, and my own experience as an intern ever so long ago as a student), and, depending on the employer, there is a fair bit of training involved.

You need to seriously get on some type of track that gets you good at programming. I can't think of any way an applied math major could be useful in industry if they can't, at the very least, hack together a prototype model in Python/R/Matlab. Hardcore numerical work would be preferable.

My advice is to learn a programming language as soon as you can. Read some tutorials online on learning Python or C, and look around in your home and related departments (physics, computer science, engineering) for research opportunities that require numerical programming work. When you apply to internships, this will be a huge advantage for you.

You might want to look into more research-oriented internships, as these are well-suited for those with a more theoretical background in computer science, physics, and mathematics. They also hire engineers, a lot in fact, but they also hire these other types as well. The kind of places I'm talking about is Dept. of Energy, Dept. of Defense, NASA, and REUs in academia. You can try companies also, but they're going to want you to be able to apply your knowledge well, so programming is essential for you.

With an applied math degree, you have some good opportunities, but if you are skilled with software and computers, you will win out over a lot of other majors that don't have your combination of skills. There's not a real shortage of software engineers and programmers, but there is a shortage of people who can do math. There's an even bigger shortage of people who can do math and program well. Hell, go one step further and get a focus in some area of engineering or CS, like say signal processing or circuit design, and you're golden.

Related to Applied Mathematics major looking for internship (needs help?)

1. What is an Applied Mathematics major?

An Applied Mathematics major is a field of study that combines both mathematics and real-world applications. It focuses on using mathematical concepts and techniques to solve practical problems in various fields such as engineering, finance, and science.

2. What kind of internships are available for Applied Mathematics majors?

There are many different types of internships available for Applied Mathematics majors. Some common ones include data analysis, financial modeling, software development, and research assistant positions. These internships can be found in various industries such as finance, technology, government, and research institutions.

3. How can an Applied Mathematics major find internships?

There are several ways an Applied Mathematics major can find internships. One way is to search for internship opportunities through their university's career center or job board. They can also attend career fairs and networking events to connect with potential employers. Additionally, they can reach out to companies directly and inquire about internship opportunities.

4. What skills are needed for an internship in Applied Mathematics?

Some key skills that are needed for an internship in Applied Mathematics include strong mathematical and analytical skills, proficiency in programming languages such as Python and R, and the ability to work with large datasets. Good communication and teamwork skills are also important, as well as being able to think critically and problem-solve effectively.

5. How can an internship in Applied Mathematics benefit my future career?

An internship in Applied Mathematics can provide valuable hands-on experience and practical skills that can enhance your resume and make you more competitive in the job market. It also allows you to apply the knowledge and theories learned in the classroom to real-world problems, giving you a better understanding of how mathematics is used in various industries. Additionally, internships provide the opportunity to network with professionals in the field and potentially lead to full-time job offers after graduation.