Applied Mathematics and Electrical Engineering

In summary: If you want to be a Computer Scientist specializing in Signal Processing then find a good Computer Science program with EE as a major. Most companies will hire someone with some level of experience in the area they are seeking expertise in.
Mathmaybe
Hi, I posted a thread a while back about a problem I had in a class, it has resolved itself fortunately but now I have another question.

I am an undergraduate mathematics major and I initially planed to go to(and likely will go to) graduate school in applied mathematics.

I have always had a passing interest in Electrical Engineering but I decided not to pursue it for a number of reasons.

My question is, would it be difficult to integrate EE into an applied mathematics Masters or PhD degree? To what extent could I pick up EE classes during my graduate studies, to what extent do I need to know EE before going into it?

Also I think I would like an industry job, while I won't have a degree in EE explicitly, do you think it would be difficult to get hired in industry related to this field?

Physics news on Phys.org
Mathmaybe said:
I have always had a passing interest in Electrical Engineering but I decided not to pursue it for a number of reasons.

Do you tinker with electronics? - build simple devices? I'm not an EE, but I'd say don't count on your mathematical training making undergraduate EE courses easy. If you already understand circuit analysis and PAL programming, it woud nice to get official credit for those skills by taking the courses. If you don't aleady have those skills, the courses would be real work.

In a graduate program on one major, you'll have a hard time getting permission to take undergraduate degrees in a another major for any sort of credit and if you are getting financial support, it probably won't pay for them. You might find "interdisciplinary" graduate programs that encourage taking courses in a variety of disciplines. Some of them take undergraduate material and give the course a graduate level designation to get around the funding problem. of paying for a graduate student to be introduced to a field he hasn't studied.

As an undergraduate I probably would only officially take a circuit analysis sequence and maybe one on semiconductors. In terms of graduate program integration I was thinking of something involving signal processing or something else interesting.

I do tinker with electronics, made robots using PIC microcontrollers, etc so it is not completely foreign to me.

"My question is, would it be difficult to integrate EE into an applied mathematics Masters or PhD degree?"

That depends on what area of applied math you are interested in. Signal Processing is mostly math so yes it could easily be integrated into a math degree. Other topics like FPGA design...probably not very easily.

"To what extent could I pick up EE classes during my graduate studies, to what extent do I need to know EE before going into it?"

It would be wise to take a few courses in EE before you became a graduate student. However you could pick it up most of it easily over the summer before graduate school. I would suggest courses in circuit theory and signals & systems at minimum. Perhaps a course in random signals might be advisable. There will be a lot of overlap with your math curriculum as they are basically just applied DE, Integral Transforms and Probability & Statistics. But it would be good to see these things from a EE perspective. Other than that you probably don't need much else. This assumes you have a sufficient background in Analysis (real, complex, numerical) and the Algebra (abstract and linear).

"Also I think I would like an industry job, while I won't have a degree in EE explicitly, do you think it would be difficult to get hired in industry related to this field?"

That depends on who you know (and to some extent what you know). Ask yourself this question: Why would a company hire me to do X when there are people graduating with graduate degrees specializing in X? This is the cruel fact of life which you must face. If you want to be an EE specializing in Signal Processing then go to EE grad school. If you want to become a Mathematician specializing in Signal Processing then find a strong grad program for this (with a good advisor).

I would say that integrating Electrical Engineering (EE) into an applied mathematics graduate degree is definitely possible. In fact, many universities offer interdisciplinary programs that combine mathematics and engineering, such as applied mathematics and engineering or mathematical engineering. These programs allow students to gain a strong foundation in both fields and apply mathematical concepts to solve real-world engineering problems.

To answer your question about picking up EE classes during your graduate studies, it really depends on the specific program and your individual interests. Some programs may require you to have a background in EE before enrolling, while others may allow you to take EE courses as part of your graduate program. I would recommend researching different programs and speaking with advisors to find out the specific requirements and options for integrating EE into your degree.

In terms of getting hired in industry, having a strong background in applied mathematics can be beneficial for many industries, including those related to EE. Many companies value individuals who have a strong analytical and problem-solving skills, which are often developed through a mathematics degree. Additionally, if you are able to take some EE courses during your graduate studies, this can also make you a more competitive candidate for EE-related jobs.

Overall, I would say that it is certainly possible to integrate EE into an applied mathematics graduate degree and pursue a career in industry related to this field. It may require some extra effort and planning, but it can be a valuable and rewarding path. Best of luck in your academic and career pursuits!

Related to Applied Mathematics and Electrical Engineering

1. What is the difference between applied mathematics and electrical engineering?

Applied mathematics is a branch of mathematics that focuses on the application of mathematical principles to solve real-world problems. Electrical engineering, on the other hand, is a field of engineering that deals with the study and application of electricity, electronics, and electromagnetism. While both fields use mathematical concepts, applied mathematics is more theoretical while electrical engineering is more practical and applied.

2. What are some common applications of applied mathematics in electrical engineering?

Applied mathematics is used in electrical engineering to model and analyze complex systems, such as circuits and communication networks. It is also used in signal processing and control systems to improve the performance and efficiency of electrical systems. Additionally, applied mathematics is used in the design and optimization of electrical systems, such as power grids and electronic devices.

3. Can someone with a degree in applied mathematics work in the field of electrical engineering?

While a degree in electrical engineering is typically required for most jobs in the field, someone with a degree in applied mathematics can still work in certain areas of electrical engineering. Many applied mathematicians specialize in areas such as signal processing, control systems, and optimization, which are highly relevant to electrical engineering. They may also work in research and development roles, applying their mathematical knowledge to solve complex problems in the field of electrical engineering.

4. What skills are important for a career in applied mathematics and electrical engineering?

Strong mathematical and analytical skills are essential for both applied mathematics and electrical engineering. In addition, knowledge of programming languages and software tools is important for modeling and simulation. Effective communication skills and teamwork are also important for collaborating with other engineers and presenting findings to non-technical audiences.

5. What are some current trends in applied mathematics and electrical engineering?

Some current trends in applied mathematics and electrical engineering include the advancement of renewable energy technologies, the development of smart grids and energy management systems, and the application of machine learning and artificial intelligence in electrical systems. There is also a growing focus on sustainability and reducing the environmental impact of electrical engineering practices.