Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Applied Math subforum

dwsmith

Feb 1, 2012
I am struggling to grasp the meaning of the applied math subforum and the point of a moderate for that forum.

That forum is basically a place where I create post, add to something as I solved it, maybe someone says something, and then it is just me posting to myself. If there is going to be 6% of aid, why have it? I came by that percentage by looking at all the post except for the first one which I solved on my own, the most recent one that should be in probability, and then I subtracted out post that weren't actually helpful yielding a 1 good post to 15 questions across two threads.

So I am at a loss of the "usefulness" of the applied math subsection.

CaptainBlack

Jan 26, 2012
I am struggling to grasp the meaning of the applied math subforum and the point of a moderate for that forum.

That forum is basically a place where I create post, add to something as I solved it, maybe someone says something, and then it is just me posting to myself. If there is going to be 6% of aid, why have it? I came by that percentage by looking at all the post except for the first one which I solved on my own, the most recent one that should be in probability, and then I subtracted out post that weren't actually helpful yielding a 1 good post to 15 questions across two threads.

So I am at a loss of the "usefulness" of the applied math subsection.
Togay we have 130 active members, we will eventually have over 1000 active members, basically it is not about you it is about what MHB need

Also, your posts could equaly well have gone in the differential equations area, and could also have done with greater explanation of the notation, and context.

CB

Last edited:

dwsmith

Feb 1, 2012
could also have done with greater explanation of the notation, and context.

CB
The book is like that. I have to figure out the notation myself. I am using Mathematical Biology by JD Murray.

CaptainBlack

Jan 26, 2012
The book is like that. I have to figure out the notation myself. I am using Mathematical Biology by JD Murray.
Well I have it open here at the budworm question and it is not as devoid of explanation of notation as your post, and you might have received some response if you had posted it closer to as asked.

CB

dwsmith

Feb 1, 2012
Well I have it open here at the budworm question and it is not as devoid of explanation of notation as your post, and you might have received some response if you had posted it closer to as asked.

CB
I solved the budworm post on my own. You would have seen that if you read the bottom of the post.

Jameson

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
I think your point is fair enough for now dwsmith but maybe this is like CB said due to less people on the site thus far than we experienced on the old forum. I doubt that others would have answered your questions had they been placed in a different section. This is unfortunately a problem regarding our low membership right now, but I hope that the site will continue growing daily. If for some reason in the future it becomes clear that the Applied Math forum is generally being ignored then we will consider renaming it or deleting it.

Ackbach

Indicium Physicus
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
Just for the record, I never ignore the Advanced Applied Math subforum. However, I have not the least interest in mathematical biology, and hence I'm afraid I wouldn't be much help in that study.

CaptainBlack

Jan 26, 2012
I solved the budworm post on my own. You would have seen that if you read the bottom of the post.
That is not the point, the point is that you have "improved" the question in ways that make it less likely that you will get a response because you are making it harder work for anyone reading it. The budworm question is the one I pursued because it is the easiest to find in the book.

CB