Applied horizontal force homework

In summary, the problem involves two veggieburger patties in contact with each other being pushed across a grill. The masses of the burgers are 113 g and 139 g, and there is a negligible amount of friction. A horizontal force of magnitude 5.38x10^-2 N is exerted on the more massive burger. Using the equations F=ma and Fnet=Fapp-Ff, the acceleration of the two-burger system is found to be .213 m/s^2 and the force exerted by each burger on the other is 2.41 x 10^-2 N.
shakabra

Homework Statement

Two veggieburger patties, in contact with each other, are being pushed across a grill. The masses of the burgers are 113 g and 139 g. Friction is negligible. The applied horizontal force of magnitude 5.38x10^-2 N is exerted on the more massiv burger. Determine
a) the magnitude of the acceleration of the two-burger system, and
b) the magnitude of the force exerted by each of the two burgers on the other.

Homework Equations

F=ma
Fnet = Fapp -Ff
Fn=Fg

The Attempt at a Solution

Honestly, I have no idea how to solve this question. I tried subtracting the applied horizontal force of magnitude from the force of gravity and multiplying the result by .139 kg. I then divided it by the total mass. However, that didn't give me the right answer, so I assume I am wrong. Any hints would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org

The answers are:
a) .213 m/s^2
b) 2.41 x 10^-2 N

Once again, any help would be quite beneficial! :)

Hi shakabra,

The starting point for these problems is almost always the same: draw a force diagram, showing all forces. What do you get? Based on your force diagram, why is your procedure from your first post (subtracting the applied force from the force of gravity) not right?

What equation do you get from your force diagrams?

Thank you for replying, but I think I already got the answer.
For part a) I used the F=ma formula and rearranged it, added the weights and added the known values into the equation. For part b) I used the same equation as part a) using acceleration from part a) and then to find the total force I did the force subtraction.
Once again, thank you for taking the time to reply to my question. It is greatly appreciated. :)

Related to Applied horizontal force homework

1. What is applied horizontal force?

Applied horizontal force is a type of force that is exerted on an object in a horizontal direction. It causes the object to move or accelerate in the same direction as the force.

2. How is applied horizontal force calculated?

Applied horizontal force is calculated using the formula F = ma, where F is the force, m is the mass of the object, and a is the acceleration in the horizontal direction.

3. What are some real-life examples of applied horizontal force?

Some real-life examples of applied horizontal force include pushing a shopping cart, throwing a ball, and sliding a book across a table.

4. How does applied horizontal force affect the motion of an object?

Applied horizontal force causes an object to accelerate in the same direction as the force. If the force is greater than the opposing forces, such as friction, the object will continue to accelerate. It will only stop if the force is balanced or if there is a change in direction.

5. How is applied horizontal force different from vertical force?

Applied horizontal force acts in a horizontal direction, while vertical force acts in a vertical direction. Additionally, horizontal force can cause an object to move or accelerate in a horizontal direction, while vertical force can cause an object to move or accelerate in a vertical direction.