Applied Functional Analysis by Zeidler

In summary, the question in "Applied Functional Analysis" by Zeidler is whether the subset S of all continuous functions with u(a)>0 in the space X=C[a,b] is dense. It is shown that although the subset is open and convex, it is not dense because of a contradiction. The author clarifies that this may be a typo and the set may have been meant to have u(a)≠0. This also raises questions about the next question in the book, which claims that the set with u(a)=1 is also open, convex, and dense.
_DJ_british_?
"Applied Functional Analysis" by Zeidler

In my book, "Applied Functional Analysis" by Zeidler, there's a question in the first chapter which, unless I got my concept of density wrong, I can't seem to see true : Let X=C[a,b] be the space of continuous functions on [a,b] with maximum norm. Then the subset S of all functions (in X) with u(a)>0 is open, convex and dense in X.

Open and convex is trivial, but how is this subset dense in X? If we take f(x)=-1, which is in X and suppose that S is dense in X, then there exists a u in S s.t. max|u(x)-f(x)|<1/2, by def. of density. But 0 < 1 < 1+u(a) = u(a)-(-1) = u(a)-f(a) = |u(a)-f(a)| =< max|u(x)-f(x)|<1/2, which implies 1 < max|u(x)-f(x)| < 1/2, a contradiction.

What I don't understand? Thanks!

Mathematics news on Phys.org

_DJ_british_? said:
In my book, "Applied Functional Analysis" by Zeidler, there's a question in the first chapter which, unless I got my concept of density wrong, I can't seem to see true : Let X=C[a,b] be the space of continuous functions on [a,b] with maximum norm. Then the subset S of all functions (in X) with u(a)>0 is open, convex and dense in X.

Open and convex is trivial, but how is this subset dense in X? If we take f(x)=-1, which is in X and suppose that S is dense in X, then there exists a u in S s.t. max|u(x)-f(x)|<1/2, by def. of density. But 0 < 1 < 1+u(a) = u(a)-(-1) = u(a)-f(a) = |u(a)-f(a)| =< max|u(x)-f(x)|<1/2, which implies 1 < max|u(x)-f(x)| < 1/2, a contradiction.

What I don't understand? Thanks!

You understand perfectly well. That set is not dense. Perhaps it is just a typo in the text and they meant to write [itex]u(a)\neq 0[/itex].

Yeah, that's what I thought, but then the set is not convex...funny thing is, the next question is to show that the set with u(a)=1 is also open, convex and dense...which it is not. Oh well.

Related to Applied Functional Analysis by Zeidler

1. What is Applied Functional Analysis by Zeidler?

Applied Functional Analysis by Zeidler is a textbook that covers the fundamental concepts and applications of functional analysis, a branch of mathematics that studies vector spaces and functions. It is commonly used by scientists, engineers, and mathematicians to solve real-world problems in various fields.

2. Who is the author of Applied Functional Analysis by Zeidler?

The author of Applied Functional Analysis by Zeidler is Eberhard Zeidler, a German mathematician and professor at the Max Planck Institute for Mathematics in the Sciences.

3. What topics are covered in Applied Functional Analysis by Zeidler?

Some of the topics covered in Applied Functional Analysis by Zeidler include linear operators, normed and Banach spaces, Hilbert spaces, spectral theory, and applications in differential equations, optimization, and physics.

4. Is Applied Functional Analysis by Zeidler suitable for beginners in functional analysis?

No, Applied Functional Analysis by Zeidler is not suitable for beginners in functional analysis. It requires a strong foundation in mathematics, including linear algebra, calculus, and advanced analysis.

5. Are there any online resources available for Applied Functional Analysis by Zeidler?

Yes, there are several online resources available for Applied Functional Analysis by Zeidler, including lecture notes, practice problems, and solution manuals. Some universities also offer online courses based on the textbook.