Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Trigonometry Applications of trigonometry!

Needhelp

Apr 9, 2012
A sector of a circle, lets say AOB with circle centre O and radius 5cm has a chord subtended from A to B. This chord forms a triangle with centre 0. Angle 0 isθradians, and the area of triangle A0B is 8cm2. Given that angle AOB is obtuse, findθ.

I worked out Sin-1(0.64)= 0.694, but this is not an obtuse angle and I dont know how to finish the problem (Sadface) any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Thank you!

Attachments

Unknown008

Feb 1, 2012
You never learned how to solve for angles? (Wondering)

Let's say sin(x) = 0.5

Then, the critical value of x is $\dfrac{\pi}{6}$

The values of x will be = $\dfrac{\pi}{6}$, $\pi - \dfrac{\pi}{6}$, $\dfrac{\pi}{6} + 2\pi$, $3\pi - \dfrac{\pi}{6}$, etc

For sine, the values are in the 1st and 2nd quadrant, for tan, 1st and 3rd quadrant, and for cos, 1st and 4th quadrant.

CaptainBlack

Jan 26, 2012
A sector of a circle, lets say AOB with circle centre O and radius 5cm has a chord subtended from A to B. This chord forms a triangle with centre 0. Angle 0 isθradians, and the area of triangle A0B is 8cm2. Given that angle AOB is obtuse, findθ.

I worked out Sin-1(0.64)= 0.694, but this is not an obtuse angle and I dont know how to finish the problem (Sadface) any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Thank you!
You are looking for the solutions of \(\sin(\theta))=0.64\). If you sketch the \(\sin\) curve you will see that for \(\theta\) in the range \(0\) to \(2\pi\) you have a solution at about \(\theta=0.694\), and another at \(\theta=\pi-0.694\). The first of these is an acute angle (about 36.6 degrees) and the other obtuse.

CB

Last edited:

Needhelp

Apr 9, 2012
thank you! I did know how to solve equations using sin and cos etc, but I didnt realise I could bring that knowledge to solve this problem!