Problems with Start Menu bar in WinXP

• Thread starter aychamo
  • Start date
In summary: Guest accounts will be enabled by default on a new installation of Windows XP. In summary, the person's problem is that they have links in different folders and this creates a problem when trying to change anything in their menus. They cured the problem by using TuneUpTools 2004 and changing the setting in the installation.
aychamo
Hey guys :)

I have a problem with my menus in WinXP. I am talking about the menu that is displayed when I do Start->Programs.

My problem is that some of my links are in my personal area in the C:\Documents and Settings folder (the sub-folder from here with my name), and some of my links are in the C:\Documents and Settings\All Users folder.

This creates a problem because when I want to change something in my menu, it won't let me because of the different things. For example, I had 6 links in a folder I created at one point. I tried to rename the folder, and it wouldn't let me because I'm "me" and it was a folder that is created in the All Users area.

I'm sure I clicked something that made my computer start acting like this. Does anyone know what I may have done? I'd like to get this back to normal :)

Thank you!

Computer science news on Phys.org
*Sigh* I had this problem too and quite frankly, I don't know exactly how I fixed it. All I do know is that I messed around with the folders themselves and the User setup options... I wish I could help you, I really do, I'll look into it see if I can figure out this out for you.

Do doing what your doing but in administrator mode.

How do I do Adminstrator mode? I checked out "Users" in Control Panel and I am the only user, along with a guest user account which is disabled. Under my name, it shows that I am the adminstrator.

http://www.ncsu.edu/resnet/pages/passwords/xp_passwords_admin.php [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey guys!

I cured this problem by using TuneUpTools 2004. There was an option that somehow got set that was "Apply changes to this user only". I switched it back to "Apply changes to all users", and it seems to be working.

I can change all the Start Menu stuff without problems now, but the stuff is still spread over two directories.

If I ever get the guts to reinstall my WinXP (I'm so scared that I may not have all the drivers for my network card, video card, etc), is there an option you can choose on install that makes WinXP "Single User"?

If you're the admin and you said the Guest account is off then you are a Single User.

1. Why is my Start Menu bar not working properly in Windows XP?

There could be a few different reasons why your Start Menu bar is not functioning correctly in Windows XP. It could be due to a corrupted system file, a software conflict, or a malware infection.

2. How can I fix my Start Menu bar in Windows XP?

First, try restarting your computer to see if that resolves the issue. If not, you can try running a System File Checker scan to repair any corrupted system files. You can also try performing a Clean Boot to identify any software conflicts. If the issue persists, it may be necessary to scan your computer for malware and remove any infections.

3. Why does my Start Menu bar keep disappearing in Windows XP?

This could be caused by a setting in your Taskbar Properties. Right-click on your Taskbar, select Properties, and make sure the box next to "Auto-hide the taskbar" is not checked. If this does not solve the issue, it could be due to a third-party program or malware causing the Start Menu bar to disappear.

4. How do I customize my Start Menu bar in Windows XP?

Right-click on the Start button and select Properties. From there, you can customize the appearance and behavior of your Start Menu bar, such as adding or removing items, changing the size and color, and adjusting the taskbar settings.

5. Can I revert back to the classic Start Menu bar in Windows XP?

Yes, you can switch back to the classic Start Menu bar by right-clicking on the Start button, selecting Properties, and choosing the "Classic Start menu" option under the Start Menu tab. However, this option is not available in newer versions of Windows.