Application of Coulomb's law to positron velocities

In summary, the speaker is trying to manipulate a positron using an electrical field and needs to ensure its kinetic energy is under 511 keV. They use Coulomb's law to obtain the force and integrate it to get the velocity at different distances. This avoids relativistic effects and the need for time-dependence. The speaker also clarifies that the main focus is on the efficiency of matter converting into energy, rather than the amount of energy generated.
Aeonace32
I have an idea in which I need to manipulate a positron using an electrical field. However, in order for the problem to work, I need to make sure that the positron's kinetic energy is under 511 keV. to do this, I used Coulomb's law (F=[itex]\frac{kQ1Q2}{r^2}[/itex]) to obtain the force. Because F = ma, I divided both sides by mass to get acceleration. I know that integrating acceleration with respect to time yields velocity. However, in this case, acceleration is not a function of time, but rather a function of distance. My goal is to obtain an equation which can give me the velocity at different distances so that I can plug the right velocity into the kinetic energy formula. Is integrating the way to solve this, and if so, how do I do it correctly?

Physics news on Phys.org
[itex]\frac{dF(x(t))}{dt}=\frac{dF(x(t))}{dx} \frac{dx(t)}{dt}[/itex]

Sorry, but could you elaborate a little?

[itex]a=\frac{dv}{dt}=\frac{k}{m}\frac{{Q}_{1}{Q}_{2}}{r^{2}}[/itex]

what you write is this:

[itex]\frac{dv}{dr} \frac{dr}{dt}=\frac{k}{m}\frac{{Q}_{1}{Q}_{2}}{r^{2}}[/itex]

dr/dt is the velocity so:

[itex] v \frac{dv}{dr}=\frac{k}{m}\frac{{Q}_{1}{Q}_{2}}{r^{2}}[/itex]

You can directly get the energy by integrating the force over a distance (or using the Coulomb potential), you do not have to use any time-dependence at all for this.
As a bonus, you avoid relativistic effects in this calculation, which can influence the acceleration.

I need to make sure that the positron's kinetic energy is under 511 keV.
Are you sure this is the real requirement?

Sorry if I'm starting to sound incompetent, but what would I do about the [itex]\frac{dv}{dr}[/itex]

@ mfb:
Thanks. The reason that I need to make sure it is under 511 keV is because if it is any higher than that, the positron-electron annihilation will start to produce heavy particles instead of energy.

[itex] v \frac{dv}{dr}=\frac{k}{m}\frac{{Q}_{1}{Q}_{2}}{r^{2}}[/itex]

[itex] \frac{1}{2} \frac{dv^{2}}{dr}=\frac{k}{m}\frac{{Q}_{1}{Q}_{2}}{r^{2}}[/itex]

[itex] \frac{d}{dr} ( \frac{1}{2} v^{2}+\frac{k}{m}\frac{{Q}_{1}{Q}_{2}}{r} )=0[/itex]

[itex]\frac{1}{2} v^{2}+\frac{k}{m}\frac{{Q}_{1}{Q}_{2}}{r}=const [/itex]

Thanks for the information.

If you already have positrons, they can annihilate with electrons - and the cross-section is smaller for higher energy. Very high-energetic positrons might produce gamma rays of >1 MeV somewhere, which could do pair-creation, but as you can see this already requires more than 1 MeV of energy.

I see. However, the main focus is not the amount of energy generated, but rather the efficiency of matter converting into energy.

Related to Application of Coulomb's law to positron velocities

1. How is Coulomb's law applied to positron velocities?

Coulomb's law is used to calculate the force between two charged particles, which can then be used to determine the velocity of a positron. The equation for Coulomb's law is F = k(q1q2)/r^2, where F is the force, k is the Coulomb's constant, q1 and q2 are the charges of the particles, and r is the distance between them. By knowing the force acting on a positron, its velocity can be calculated using the equations of motion.

2. What is the significance of using Coulomb's law in studying positron velocities?

Coulomb's law is an important equation in understanding the behavior of charged particles, including positrons. By applying this law, scientists can accurately predict the behavior and interactions of positrons, which is crucial in many fields of study such as particle physics, materials science, and astrophysics.

3. Can Coulomb's law be applied to all positron velocities?

Yes, Coulomb's law can be applied to all positron velocities as long as the particles are charged and the distance between them is known. However, in some cases, other factors such as electromagnetic fields may also need to be considered to accurately calculate the positron's velocity.

4. How does the velocity of a positron affect the strength of the force between two particles?

The velocity of a positron does not directly affect the strength of the force between two particles. Coulomb's law only depends on the charges and distance between the particles. However, the velocity of a positron can indirectly influence the force by affecting the distance between the particles, as the force decreases with increasing distance.

5. Is Coulomb's law the only equation used in studying positron velocities?

No, Coulomb's law is not the only equation used in studying positron velocities. Other equations, such as the Lorentz force law and the equations of motion, may also be used depending on the specific situation. However, Coulomb's law is a fundamental equation that is often used as a starting point in studying the behavior of charged particles like positrons.