Application of circularity of hybrid product

In summary, the conversation is discussing the application of the equation a·(b x c) = b·(c x a) and how it relates to the given problem. The discussion includes confusion about the order of terms and the removal of negative signs. In the end, it is concluded that the negative sign can be pulled out as a scalar and applied to the vector.
influx

Homework Statement

http://photouploads.com/images/8ba21e.png
8ba21e.png

{moderator's not: Inserted image so it's visible without having to follow a link}

2. Homework Equations

a·(b x c) = b·(c x a)

The Attempt at a Solution

How did they get from the (b) to (c)? In particular, I am referring to the numerator and denominator of the fraction. I mean if you apply a·(b x c) = b·(c x a) then surely the terms inside the brackets (of both numerator and denominator) of part (c) should be the other way round?

I mean for instance rCD·(k x rBA) = k·(rBA x rCD) and not rCD·(k x rBA) = k·(rCD x rBA) as they got?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Did you happen to notice that the prefixed "-" sign also disappeared from (b) to (c)?...

Likes influx
gneill said:
Did you happen to notice that the prefixed "-" sign also disappeared from (b) to (c)?...
Ah I never noticed that! So -rCD·(k x rBA) = -k·(rBA x rCD) but I'm still confused in terms of how they got from -k·(rBA x rCD) to k·(rCD x rBA)? I know that A x B = -B x A so -k·(rBA x rCD) can be written as -k·(-rCD x rBA) and I'm guessing the two negatives cancel somehow but don't know how..

-rCD can be written as (-1)rCD, the scalar -1 being "pulled out" of the vector. That scalar in turn can be moved out of the parentheses and applied to the vector -k.

gneill said:
-rCD can be written as (-1)rCD, the scalar -1 being "pulled out" of the vector. That scalar in turn can be moved out of the parentheses and applied to the vector -k.

So -k·((-1)rCD x rBA)=(-1)(-k)·(rCD x rBA) = k·(rCD x rBA)?

I was thinking it would be something along these lines but I wasn't sure how to pull out the negative when dealing with vectors.

influx said:
So -k·((-1)rCD x rBA)=(-1)(-k)·(rCD x rBA) = k·(rCD x rBA)?

I was thinking it would be something along these lines but I wasn't sure how to pull out the negative when dealing with vectors.
Yes that's good. A "negative" is just a scalar constant, -1. So you can manipulate it as you would any scalar multiplyer of a vector.

Related to Application of circularity of hybrid product

What is circularity of hybrid product?

Circularity of hybrid product refers to using sustainable and circular principles in the design, production, use, and disposal of hybrid products. It aims to minimize waste and maximize the reuse, recycling, and upcycling of resources.

Why is circularity important for hybrid products?

Circularity is important for hybrid products because they typically have a high environmental impact due to their complex design and use of multiple materials. Implementing circularity principles can reduce this impact and create a more sustainable product lifecycle.

How can circularity be applied to hybrid product design?

Circularity can be applied to hybrid product design by using sustainable materials, designing for disassembly and recyclability, and incorporating circular business models such as leasing or take-back programs.

What are the benefits of circularity for hybrid products?

The benefits of circularity for hybrid products include reducing environmental impact, promoting sustainable resource use, and creating new business opportunities through circular business models.

What are the challenges in implementing circularity for hybrid products?

Some challenges in implementing circularity for hybrid products include the complexity of designing for disassembly and recyclability, the need for collaboration and innovation among stakeholders, and the lack of infrastructure for recycling and upcycling certain materials.