Apparent fallacy in linear operator theory

In summary, the conversation discusses the theory of linear operators and the representation of vectors and matrices. It explores the idea of a linear operator transforming a basis vector into a vector, and how the vectors can be represented by coordinates w.r.t. a given basis. The conversation also touches upon the difference between a vector and the matrix of components representing the vector. Ultimately, the fallacy being questioned is related to the representation of vectors and matrices and whether they should be expressed as row or column vectors.
neelakash
Butkov's book present the theory of linear operators this way:

Suppose a linear operator [tex]\alpha[/tex] transforms a basis vector
[tex]\hat{\ e_i}[/tex] into some vector [tex]\hat{\ a_i}[/tex].That is we have

[tex]\alpha\hat{\ e_i}=\hat{\ a_i}[/tex]......(A)

Now the vectors [tex]\hat{\ a_i}[/tex] can be represented by its co-ordinates w.r.t. basis [tex]\{\hat{\ e_1},\hat{\ e_2}, ...,\hat{\ e_N}}[/tex].

[tex]\hat{\ a_i} = \sum\ a_j_i\hat{\ e_j}[/tex] where i,j=1,2,3...N and summation over j is implied....(B)

Notice that the in last equation,we have put a row vector(a)=a row vector (e) times a matrix A

Now with the help of the transforming matrix [tex]\ a_j_i[/tex],we can find the co-ordiantes of [tex]\ y=\alpha\ x[/tex] from the co-ordiantes of [tex]\ x[/tex]

[tex]\ y=\alpha\ x=\alpha\sum [\ x_i\hat{ e_i}]=\sum [\ x_i\hat{ a_i}][/tex]...(C)

Employing the definition of [tex]\ a_i[/tex] as in (B), we obtain

[tex]\ y= \sum\ x_i\sum\ a_j_i\hat{\ e_j} = \sum[\sum\ a_j_i\ x_i]\hat{\ e_j}[/tex] in the last term the outer summation is on j.....(D)

From this we could identify that [tex]\ y=\sum\ y_j\hat{\ e_j}[/tex]...(E)

where [tex]\ y_j=\sum[\ a_j_i\ x_i}[/tex]...(F)

Last equation shows y and x are column vectors.If they were row vectors, the indices of [tex]\ a[/tex] would have interchanged among themselves.

But our very first assumption was [tex]\hat{ a_i}[/tex] is a row vector.And y is a linear combination of [tex]\hat{ a_i}[/tex].Thus, y should be a row vector!

Can anyone please help me to see where is the fallacy?

-Neel.

Physics news on Phys.org
there is a subtle, but important difference between a vector and the matrix of components that represent the vector. Incidentally, the same thing can be said about a linear operator and the matrix of components representing the operator. The vector you express in (B) is a linear combination of the basis vectors you list in the line above (B). The matrix representing this vector is usually written as a Nx1 array, or column vector. Does this help at all?

Related to Apparent fallacy in linear operator theory

1. What is a fallacy in linear operator theory?

A fallacy in linear operator theory refers to a mistaken or incorrect reasoning in the application or interpretation of linear operators. This can lead to incorrect conclusions or assumptions about the properties or behavior of linear operators.

2. How can a fallacy occur in linear operator theory?

A fallacy in linear operator theory can occur due to various reasons, such as incorrect assumptions, incorrect application of mathematical principles, or incorrect interpretation of data or results. It can also occur due to errors in calculations or in the use of mathematical software.

3. What are the consequences of a fallacy in linear operator theory?

The consequences of a fallacy in linear operator theory can vary depending on the context and severity of the mistake. In some cases, it may lead to incorrect conclusions or assumptions, which can impact the accuracy and validity of scientific theories or models. It can also lead to incorrect predictions or decisions, which can have real-world implications in fields such as engineering, physics, and economics.

4. How can a fallacy in linear operator theory be avoided?

To avoid a fallacy in linear operator theory, it is important to carefully check and validate all assumptions, calculations, and interpretations. It is also important to use reliable and accurate mathematical tools and software, and to have a thorough understanding of the underlying principles and concepts of linear operator theory.

5. What is the role of peer review in identifying fallacies in linear operator theory?

Peer review plays a crucial role in identifying fallacies in linear operator theory. It involves experts in the field critically evaluating and scrutinizing scientific research and theories before they are published. This process helps to identify and correct any potential fallacies or errors, ensuring the accuracy and validity of scientific knowledge and advancements in linear operator theory.