Aperature, Numerical Aperature and Speed of Lenses

In summary: Yes, because of possible asymmetry in the lens (for instance, one side is flat and the other is extremely curved and the marginal angle doesn't extend the total aperture). Also, because the image could be virtual.
Jamison Lahman
I think I understand the relationship between the three, but I would like some feedback. I still am fairly unsure about lens speed and is what I'm mostly interested in.

From my understanding:
Aperture is the total diameter of the lens and numerical aperture is the ratio between the aperture and focus length. The numerical aperture tells the maximum angle a light cone from and object a specific distance can handle while allowing all the light to pass through the lens.

Is the speed of the lens simply the aperture without any type of shutter?

Science news on Phys.org
Jamison Lahman said:
Aperture is the total diameter of the lens and numerical aperture is the ratio between the aperture and focus length.

Numerical aperture describes the axial cone of light in terms of the marginal ray angle. NA is related to the f-number as follows: ##\frac{1}{2NA}##
And f-number is defined as ##\frac{f_e}{D_{EP}}## where ##f_e## is the effective focal length and ##D_{EP}## is the diameter of the entrance pupil. Note that the entrance pupil is not always the same as the aperture.

Jamison Lahman said:
The numerical aperture tells the maximum angle a light cone from and object a specific distance can handle while allowing all the light to pass through the lens.

I believe so.

Jamison Lahman said:

Hmmm. I'm not sure. If we're talking about the lens itself then I would think so.

Likes Jamison Lahman
Wikipedia defines the speed as, "Aperture Lens speed refers to the maximum aperture diameter, or minimum f-number, of a photographic lens."
So it seems like the NA is only dependent on entrance pupil which can vary regardless of the lens's speed. Would I be correct in asserting that lens speed is a qualitative characteristic while the maximum aperture is the analogous quantitative characteristic?

No, I think both are quantitative. Also, things get a little muddy since we have to distinguish between properties of the lens and the properties of the system. For example, if a diaphragm is inserted behind a lens, then the speed and NA of the system can be much different than the lens.

Drakkith said:
No, I think both are quantitative. Also, things get a little muddy since we have to distinguish between properties of the lens and the properties of the system. For example, if a diaphragm is inserted behind a lens, then the speed and NA of the system can be much different than the lens.
Hmm. The only lens speeds I've ever heard are slow and fast so that's curious to me.
Can you explain more why that makes it muddy? Because of possible asymmetry in the lens (for instance, one side is flat and the other is extremely curved and the marginal angle doesn't extend the total aperture)? Because the image could be virtual?

f number is the most common aperture figure that's needed. Having searched the term "lens speed" I found that most links simply described the term as the lowest f number for a particular lens. The aperture of a lens is usually the diameter of the front of the lens - which you can measure with a ruler. The focal length is harder to measure because multiple elements will shorten a lens with a given focal length so that it is not the distance from front of the lens to the sensor element Telephoto lenses can be a fraction in length of their focal length.
If you really want to know the 'light gathering power' of a camera lens then you can use its E value, which takes into account the internal losses too. For movie film cameras, it is important to calibrate all lenses on all the different cameras used in a scene in terms of E rather than f because the exposures for all cameras on the set must be matched. I have never come across an E value for any lens I have bought - but maybe I haven't looked hard enough.
I learned about this on PF, not long ago. What a great forum!

Vignetting is very common in cheaper lenses which can have 'optimistic' claims about their minimum f number. Only the central portion of the image actually gets all the light from the object.

Jamison Lahman said:
Hmm. The only lens speeds I've ever heard are slow and fast so that's curious to me.
Can you explain more why that makes it muddy? Because of possible asymmetry in the lens (for instance, one side is flat and the other is extremely curved and the marginal angle doesn't extend the total aperture)? Because the image could be virtual?

What makes it muddy is that the optical properties of a single lens are not the same as the optical properties of a system of lenses and other optical elements (like diaphragms, apertures, stops, etc). So it's important to make that distinction. A stop placed behind a lens may drastically change the optical properties of the system compared to the lens. It can affect the f-number, field of view, numerical aperture, and other properties.

Jamison Lahman said:

The speed of a photographic lens is given by its f/no. The shutter is not involved in discussing the speed of the lens. The light collected by the camera as a whole would depend on the shutter.

"Numerical aperture" is usually used in discussion of the light collection ability of a microscope objective lens, whereas f/no. is used for photography. This is because of the very different way the lenses are used - up close in the former case, far away in the latter.

Related to Aperature, Numerical Aperature and Speed of Lenses

1. What is the difference between aperature and numerical aperature?

Aperature refers to the opening or diameter of a lens that allows light to pass through. Numerical aperature is a measure of the light gathering ability of a lens, taking into account both the aperature and the refractive index of the medium surrounding the lens.

2. How does the aperature affect the depth of field in a photograph?

A larger aperature (smaller f-number) will result in a shallower depth of field, meaning that only a small portion of the image will be in focus. A smaller aperature (larger f-number) will result in a deeper depth of field, where more of the image will be in focus.

3. What is the relationship between aperature and shutter speed?

A larger aperature will allow more light to enter the camera, meaning a faster shutter speed can be used. A smaller aperature will allow less light to enter, requiring a slower shutter speed to properly expose the image.

4. How does the numerical aperature affect the quality of an image?

A higher numerical aperature generally results in a higher quality image, as it allows for more light to enter the lens and reach the camera's sensor. This can result in better clarity, contrast, and detail in the final image.

5. Is a higher numerical aperature always better?

Not necessarily. While a higher numerical aperature can result in a higher quality image, it also means that the depth of field will be shallower and the shutter speed will need to be faster. This may not always be desirable, depending on the intended outcome of the photograph.