AP Problem - Elastic Collision at an Angle

In summary, the conversation is about a physics problem involving conservation of momentum, conservation of kinetic energy, and kinematic equations. The problem is to find the final velocity of an object after it collides with a frictionless surface at a certain angle. The conversation includes discussions about the effects of friction, the angle of the velocity, and the correct approach to solving the problem. The final answer should be found by using the conservation of energy equation, which includes both the initial and final velocities of the object.
meganw

Homework Statement

SEE BELOW: 4th Reply has a Diagram

Homework Equations

Conservation of Momentum: m1(v1i) +m2(v2i) = m1(v1f) + m2(v2f)
Vf^2=Vi^2 + 2a(delta y)
Conservation of Kinetic Energy (Elastic Collision): .5m1(v1i^2)+.5m2(v2i) = .5m1(v1f^2)+.5m2(v2f^2)

The Attempt at a Solution

See 4th post for newest question:

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Since the surface is frictionless, only the component of velocity normal to the surface is affected by the collision.

What? Sorry I don't understand what you're saying...does that mean the angle doesn't change?

(By the way thank you for being so amazingly helpful! :) )

Yes, the angle the velocity makes with the surface will not change.

This is the problem and diagram:

http://img255.imageshack.us/img255/1966/55320227sg8.png

I have done a-c, and these are my answers that I got. I know they're correct because I checked them with the solutions:

L= 4[tex]\sqrt{}2[/tex] (h)
Delta Y = Delta x = L/[tex]\sqrt{}2[/tex]

For d I used the kinematic equation
Vf^2=Vi^2 + 2a(delta y)
I got delta y=4h
and vf = [tex]\sqrt{}8gh[/tex]

but the ap board says the answer is (conservation of energy):

mgh + mgL/[tex]\sqrt{}2[/tex]=.5mv^2

v = [tex]\sqrt{}10gh[/tex]

But why is my answer for part d wrong?

note: [tex]\sqrt{}2[/tex]
(this symbol is the square root symbol)

Last edited by a moderator:
gahhhh

You didn't add the Vi^2 (=2gh) to the 2a(delta y) (=8gh).

Related to AP Problem - Elastic Collision at an Angle

1. What is an elastic collision at an angle?

An elastic collision at an angle is a type of collision between two objects in which both the momentum and kinetic energy are conserved. It occurs when two objects collide with each other and bounce off at different angles, without any energy loss due to deformation or friction between the objects.

2. How is momentum conserved in an elastic collision at an angle?

Momentum is conserved in an elastic collision at an angle because the total momentum of the objects before the collision is equal to the total momentum after the collision. This means that the sum of the masses of the objects multiplied by their velocities remains the same before and after the collision.

3. What factors affect the outcome of an elastic collision at an angle?

The outcome of an elastic collision at an angle can be affected by several factors, including the masses and velocities of the objects, the angle at which they collide, and the coefficient of restitution, which determines how much of the kinetic energy is transferred between the objects during the collision.

4. How is kinetic energy conserved in an elastic collision at an angle?

Kinetic energy is conserved in an elastic collision at an angle because the total kinetic energy of the objects before the collision is equal to the total kinetic energy after the collision. This means that the sum of the masses of the objects multiplied by the squares of their velocities remains the same before and after the collision.

5. How can the equations of conservation of momentum and kinetic energy be applied to solve problems involving elastic collisions at an angle?

The equations of conservation of momentum and kinetic energy can be applied to solve problems involving elastic collisions at an angle by setting up and solving a system of equations. The initial and final momenta and kinetic energies of the objects can be equated, and the equations can be solved to find the velocities and angles of the objects after the collision.