AP Physics Problem - Highway between two cities

In summary, the problem involves determining the shortest length of a highway between two towns, one 40.7 km south and 72.5 km west of the other. Using the Pythagorean theorem, the shortest length is calculated to be 83.14 km. The second part of the problem asks for the angle at which the highway would be directed, with respect to due west. This is a bit ambiguous as it could either refer to angle ABC or angle 180°-ABC, and clarification from an instructor is recommended.
zud3652

Homework Statement

A highway is to be built between two towns, one of which lies 40.7 km south and 72.5 km west of the other. (a) What is the shortest length of highway that can be built between the two towns, and (b) at what angle would this highway be directed, as a positive angle with respect to due west?

Homework Equations

No equations are given. I used Pythagorean theorem.

The Attempt at a Solution

I got 83.14m for the first part. I got 29.31 degrees for the second part but I don't think this is right.

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR HELP!

PICTURE: https://www.dropbox.com/s/052vjjh3by6kbnl/Untitled.png?dl=0

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Are you allowed to assume the Earth is flat? I'm guessing you are, otherwise this become a spherical geometry problem.

How did you arrive at your answers? Did you draw a picture?

Yes we can assume the Earth is flat. The first part is simple, just Pythagorean theorem, really my question is about part B. I am confused when it says "with respect to due west". I added a picture to the post to show you what I have.

Ah, reading this question again, that is a very ambiguous way to phrase the question b, since it does not tell you which city is to serve as the origin.

There are two ways to interpret this question. Either it's asking for angle ABC or or angle 180°-ABC.

I don't think I can decipher which the question is asking for. Could you perhaps ask an instructor?

I would like to commend you on successfully using the Pythagorean theorem to solve this problem. Your answer of 83.14 km for the shortest length of highway is correct. However, your answer of 29.31 degrees for the angle is not correct.

To find the angle, we can use trigonometric ratios. Since we know the lengths of the sides of the triangle (40.7 km and 72.5 km), we can use the tangent function to find the angle. The tangent of an angle is equal to the opposite side divided by the adjacent side. In this case, the opposite side is 40.7 km and the adjacent side is 72.5 km.

So, we can write the equation: tan(theta) = 40.7/72.5

Using a calculator, we can find the inverse tangent (or arctangent) of 40.7/72.5 to be approximately 28.97 degrees. However, this angle is measured from the positive x-axis, not the positive y-axis. To find the angle with respect to due west, we need to subtract this angle from 90 degrees (since due west is perpendicular to due north). So, the final answer for the angle would be 90 - 28.97 = 61.03 degrees.

Therefore, the shortest length of highway that can be built between the two towns is 83.14 km, and the angle of the highway with respect to due west is 61.03 degrees.

I hope this helps. Keep up the good work!

Related to AP Physics Problem - Highway between two cities

1. What is the AP Physics problem - Highway between two cities?

The AP Physics problem - Highway between two cities is a hypothetical scenario that requires you to apply principles of physics to analyze the motion of an object on a highway between two cities. It typically involves questions related to velocity, acceleration, and distance.

2. How do I approach solving this AP Physics problem?

The best approach to solving this problem is to first draw a diagram to visualize the scenario and label all the given information. Then, use equations of motion and Newton's laws of motion to analyze the motion of the object and find the required quantities. It is important to understand the concept behind each equation and use units correctly.

3. What are some common mistakes to avoid while solving this problem?

Some common mistakes to avoid while solving this problem include using incorrect units, using the wrong equation, or not considering all the forces acting on the object. It is also important to pay attention to the direction of motion and use negative signs appropriately when dealing with deceleration or opposite direction of motion.

4. Can you provide some tips for solving this problem efficiently?

One tip for solving this problem efficiently is to break it down into smaller parts and solve them separately. This can help you better understand the problem and make it less overwhelming. It is also helpful to practice solving similar problems and familiarize yourself with the equations and concepts involved.

5. How can I check if my answer is correct?

You can check if your answer is correct by plugging it back into the original equation and seeing if it satisfies the given conditions. You can also use the given answer choices (if available) to eliminate any incorrect options. It is always a good idea to double-check your calculations and make sure you have used the correct units.