AP PHYSICS MIDTERM-EMERGENCY .

In summary: I'm not sure if i'm doing this right In summary,The homework assignment is to find the acceleration of an Atwoods machine with two masses on either side and two objects of unknown mass added. To do this, the student must use the equations for mass, force, and acceleration. First, they need to draw diagrams to understand how the forces are working and which way things are accelerating. Next, they need to set the coordinates of their free body force diagrams or force diagrams to find the + and -'s. From there, they can solve for the acceleration.
imsoconfused89
AP PHYSICS MIDTERM-EMERGENCY!.please help

Homework Statement

We are given an Atwoods machine with two known masses on either side. On one of the masses two objects of unknown mass are added. We have to perform measurements to determine the resulting acceleration. Then from the accelerations we have to calc. the mass of each oth the unknown objects to the nearest .01 kg. we are not given the masses of the two known objects YET..so can we just call them a and b.

Homework Equations

F=ma
Fmg=9.8
mg-t=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

i have no idea of even to start it except that maybe we use mg-t=ma and go from there?
then would i consider t-mg=ma and have m(1)a(1)=m(2)a(2)
would anyone know how to do this
the link to the actual website where the ? is posted is

http://fc.pickerington.k12.oh.us/~doug_forrest/F00013CE5/S012A3894.-1/AP exam info07.pdf?WasRead=1

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
A good idea would to first start off by drawing some basic diagrams of how the forces are working and which way things are accelerating =).

But you are right that you would use ma and that tension would be involved. You just need to set it up visually to get a grasp of how things are going.

Also, be sure to set when you draw you free body force diagram or force diagram to set your + and -'s.

*Hints*
Tension basically brings all this together to make one nice equation which you can solve for acceleration. hehe =p.

Last edited:
well ok. that helped i think
so if we do the
(unknown mass)(9.8)=net force
(sum of two known masses)+x=mass total
a=f/m
so... 9.8x/(sum of two known masses+x)=a

then solve for x from the solved acceleration which we wouldve used
x=.5at^2

is that right?

Related to AP PHYSICS MIDTERM-EMERGENCY .

1. What topics are covered on the AP Physics Midterm Exam?

The AP Physics Midterm Exam covers a variety of topics including kinematics, Newton's laws of motion, work and energy, momentum, circular motion and gravitation, electrostatics, and circuits. It also includes questions on mathematical and conceptual applications of these topics.

2. How should I prepare for the AP Physics Midterm Exam?

To prepare for the AP Physics Midterm Exam, it is important to review all of the material covered in class and in your textbook. Practice problems and past exams can also be helpful in identifying areas where you may need more practice. It is also important to understand the concepts and how to apply them rather than just memorizing equations.

3. What is the format of the AP Physics Midterm Exam?

The AP Physics Midterm Exam is typically divided into two sections: a multiple-choice section and a free-response section. The multiple-choice section consists of 50 questions and the free-response section has 5 questions. The exam is 90 minutes long and a calculator is allowed for the free-response section.

4. What is the scoring system for the AP Physics Midterm Exam?

The AP Physics Midterm Exam is scored on a scale of 1-5, with 5 being the highest score. The multiple-choice section accounts for 50% of the total score, while the free-response section accounts for the remaining 50%. The College Board sets the passing score for AP exams at 3, but some colleges may require a higher score for credit.

5. What resources are available to help me study for the AP Physics Midterm Exam?

There are many resources available to help you study for the AP Physics Midterm Exam. Your teacher may provide review materials or practice exams. There are also review books and online resources, such as Khan Academy, that offer practice problems and explanations of concepts. Additionally, forming study groups with classmates can be a helpful way to review and discuss material.