Ap physics gravitational force on satellites. Any help appreciated

In summary, a 450 kg satellite orbits at a distance of about 6.5 Earth radii from the center of the Earth. The gravitational force exerted by the Earth on the satellite is 960 N.
astru025
1. Homework Statement

A 450 kg satellite orbits at a distance from the Earth's center of about 6.5 Earth radii. What gravitational force does the Earth exert on the satellite?
2. Homework Equations

Gravitational force= G* ((mMe)/(r^2))

3. The Attempt at a Solution
G times mass times Earth's mass divided by radius squared.
G= 6.67E-11
m= 450 kg
Me(Earth's mass)= 5.98E24
r(radius)= 6.5 x 6370 (Earth's radius)
I inserted this into the equation but came up with the wrong answer it said. I don't know what I'm doing wrong and am getting very frustrated !

Physics news on Phys.org
Make sure your distances are in meters.

Even easier would be to use ratios. By what factor is the weight of the object reduced when the distance is multiplied by 6.5?

(Please don't post the same thing twice!)

I made sure my distances were in meters and still cannot come up with the answer.

astru025 said:
I made sure my distances were in meters and still cannot come up with the answer.
What answer did you get?

I came up with 104964.74.
This is how I came up with that: G (6.67E-11 N*m^2/kg^2) times ((450 kg.) * (5.98E24 kg)) / (1.71E12 m)

I got 1.71E12 m by taking 6.5 times 6.37E6 and squaring that.

astru025 said:
I got 1.71E12 m by taking 6.5 times 6.37E6 and squaring that.
Redo that calculation; you are off by a factor of 1000.

Thank you so much. Fixed it and came up with a final answer of 103.75 and it was correct! Thanks so much!

You are very welcome. :thumbs:

I have another problem that is really challenging me and I was going to see if you could tell me what I'm doing wrong.
Problem: A 135 kg satellite experiences a gravitational force by the Earth of 960 N. What is the radius of the satellite's orbit?

I used the equation for gravitational force: F=G * ((m*Me) / (r^2)).
I put 135 in for m. 5.98E24 for Me( the Earth's mass), and for r I put in (x*6.4E6)^2. And I put 960 in for F.
I got an answer of 1.17 and it said it was wrong. And idea why? Thanks so much.

One problem - one thread.

astru025 said:
and for r I put in (x*6.4E6)^2
Why would you do that?

6.4E6 is Earth's radius and then you square that. I'm not sure why I had that x in there.

astru025 said:
6.4E6 is Earth's radius and then you square that. I'm not sure why I had that x in there.
r is the radius of the orbit; that's what you're solving for. So just leave it as "r" and solve for it.

Thank you. I came up with 7489.99 and that was the correct answer!

Now how do I find the altitude from this same problem?

astru025 said:
Now how do I find the altitude from this same problem?
Altitude means how far above the earth. Hint: Make use of the Earth's radius.

I'm so dumb. I subtract the Earth's radius (6370) from my radius and I got the correct answer! Thanks so much.

Related to Ap physics gravitational force on satellites. Any help appreciated

1. What is the formula for calculating the gravitational force on a satellite?

The formula for calculating the gravitational force on a satellite is F = (G * m1 * m2) / r^2, where G is the gravitational constant (6.67 x 10^-11 N*m^2/kg^2), m1 and m2 are the masses of the two objects (in this case, the satellite and the planet it is orbiting), and r is the distance between the two objects.

2. How does the mass of a satellite affect the gravitational force on it?

The mass of a satellite directly affects the gravitational force on it. The greater the mass of the satellite, the greater the gravitational force pulling it towards the planet it is orbiting. This means that a larger satellite will require a greater force to keep it in orbit compared to a smaller satellite.

3. How does the distance between a satellite and the planet affect the gravitational force on the satellite?

The distance between a satellite and the planet also directly affects the gravitational force on the satellite. The further the satellite is from the planet, the weaker the gravitational force will be. This means that a satellite in a higher orbit will experience a weaker gravitational force compared to a satellite in a lower orbit.

4. Can the gravitational force on a satellite be greater than the weight of the satellite?

Yes, the gravitational force on a satellite can be greater than the weight of the satellite. This is because weight is the measure of the force of gravity on an object due to its mass, while gravitational force also takes into account the mass of the planet the satellite is orbiting and the distance between them. Therefore, a satellite may experience a greater gravitational force than its weight, depending on its location in orbit.

5. How does the gravitational force on a satellite affect its orbit?

The gravitational force on a satellite is what keeps it in orbit around a planet. Without this force, the satellite would continue in a straight line and eventually leave the planet's gravitational pull. The strength of the gravitational force affects the speed and shape of the satellite's orbit, with a stronger force resulting in a faster and more elliptical orbit.